7m Oil Cooler Setup

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
This look good to you guys? Parts and brands as well!
p1740824_1.jpg

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Please no Fram filter. Wix, Purolator, Amsoil, anything but fram...

Looks OK, but the 8 micron filter may be unneeded/unwanted? Jdub will have more accurate info on that, I think.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Fram filters are crap - wouldn't be caught dead using one.

Both filters you are showing are full flow, not a lot of point in that. I would use a remotely located dual filter head with a full flow and Trasko bypass filter (filters to 1 micron). You can use a Wix or PureOne filter as the full flow. If you want huge overkill, use the Canton as the full flow along with the Trasko. FYI - 10 micron particles will have zero impact on bearings or anything else in an engine.

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
I'm not going to run a Fram trust me, thats just the part number I'm wanting to run for the volume.
So does a dual filter head go from 1 filter to the other filter or just get split between the 2. Im just confused on the 4 ports, unless it has a thermostat in it?

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
use the trasko right before the engine and the Canton between the block and thermostat to ensure a clean system. I have a Canton filter in between the block and thermostat so that all the oil that circulates through the system is clean. If anything shaves off, it'll be caught by the filter and not be circulated throughout the rest of the system

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
stevenr816;1740900 said:
I'm not going to run a Fram trust me, thats just the part number I'm wanting to run for the volume.
So does a dual filter head go from 1 filter to the other filter or just get split between the 2. Im just confused on the 4 ports, unless it has a thermostat in it?

A higher volume filter is really not going to do much for you - all it will have is more filter media surface area.
A dual filter head feeds both filters equally. With a Trasko on one side, most of the oil will flow through the other (full flow) filter due to the intrinsic restriction of the Trasko. The 4 ports are there to allow flexibility - one in/out on each side for routing. Really simple.

Moy;1740903 said:
use the trasko right before the engine and the Canton between the block and thermostat to ensure a clean system. I have a Canton filter in between the block and thermostat so that all the oil that circulates through the system is clean. If anything shaves off, it'll be caught by the filter and not be circulated throughout the rest of the system

Basic misunderstanding how a bypass filter like the Trasko works: A bypass filter diverts a small portion of oil through an orifice and forces it under pressure through a dense filter. In the Trasko the filter element looks like a roll of TP, because basically that is what it is. In my motorguard bypass filter it is a roll of TP - Scotts 1000 sheet to be exact ;)
Even though a small amount of oil is filtered (compared to a full flow), over time all the oil in the system is filtered. This results in oil that is essentially free of particulates.

There is zero reason to place the Trasko "right before the engine" - it can be anywhere and it will do it's job. You do want a full flow (like the Canton) to filter oil before it hits the engine. A dual filter head is a simple solution that will accomplish both objectives.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
stevenr816;1740933 said:
So I would not want to run 2 seperate heads to get the most filtration out of the trasko filter right cause there suppose to be low pressure.

Huh? Not too sure what you're talking about there grasshopper.
There is more than sufficient pressure across a dual head for the Trasko. Like I said, flow is restricted anyway due to the orifice built into the Trasko.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
What's the advantage of using the trasko as a bypass only filter? I always thought that the bypass element in it was pretty small, wouldn't a full dedicated bypass filter be a better option considering it will already have a full flow?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
CyFi6;1740988 said:
What's the advantage of using the trasko as a bypass only filter? I always thought that the bypass element in it was pretty small, wouldn't a full dedicated bypass filter be a better option considering it will already have a full flow?

The Trasco is a bypass filter by defination. They market it as a replacement for a conventional filter and it will work that way - I would not use it in that manner myself. On a dual filter head, it essentially becomes a dedicated bypass with the advantage of full flow filtration from the other filter. I prefer using a Motorguard as the bypass, but it is pretty big and difficult to find a place for it in the Supra engine bay. You can move the charcoal canister (JDM in the fender well) and put a Motorguard in it's place - JJ did it like this.

kueves87

Oct 18, 2009
tucson
good thread, i've been on the fence about all this relocation business but now i'm on board. its so easy thats its stupid NOT to have a remote filter setup. Jdub's the shizzle.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its so easy but then you get all the nice billet pieces and it adds up to quite a big drop in how fat your wallet is.

Im just going to use the biggest purolator filter i can fit on my canton piece. I think it should be good for now.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
jdub;1741001 said:
The Trasco is a bypass filter by defination. They market it as a replacement for a conventional filter and it will work that way - I would not use it in that manner myself. On a dual filter head, it essentially becomes a dedicated bypass with the advantage of full flow filtration from the other filter. I prefer using a Motorguard as the bypass, but it is pretty big and difficult to find a place for it in the Supra engine bay. You can move the charcoal canister (JDM in the fender well) and put a Motorguard in it's place - JJ did it like this.

Always wondered how much actually makes it through the Bypass filter when run on a dual head remote?

Reason for the question is the Oil is going to follow the path of least resistance (i.e. the full flow side)?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Critical pressure for the Trasko to go into bypass is only 8-16 psi - it's controlled by a spring actuated valve that regulates pressure differential in the range of an Input/Output of 1.00 : 0.89 (i.e if the input pressure was 80 psi the output pressure from the Trasko is 71.20 psi). This pressure differential is required to force oil through the paper filter media. Oil that bypasses the media is directed through a 8-10 micron screen - it is still filtered. In this sense, the Trasko is a hybrid and is why it can be used as a replacement for a stock filter. On a dual head, it is primarily a bypass.

Oil will follow the path of least resistance, but no matter what the pressure across the the input gallery across both filters on a dual head will be above the critical pressure for the Trasko to function. It is a small amount of oil, especially compared to a full flow filter. The company does not publish flow through the paper media, but flow at 3-5 gal per hour would be a reasonable expectation.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
jdub;1741179 said:
Critical pressure for the Trasko to go into bypass is only 8-16 psi - it's controlled by a spring actuated valve that regulates pressure differential in the range of an Input/Output of 1.00 : 0.89 (i.e if the input pressure was 80 psi the output pressure from the Trasko is 71.20 psi). This pressure differential is required to force oil through the paper filter media. Oil that bypasses the media is directed through a 8-10 micron screen - it is still filtered. In this sense, the Trasko is a hybrid and is why it can be used as a replacement for a stock filter. On a dual head, it is primarily a bypass.

Oil will follow the path of least resistance, but no matter what the pressure across the the input gallery across both filters on a dual head will be above the critical pressure for the Trasko to function. It is a small amount of oil, especially compared to a full flow filter. The company does not publish flow through the paper media, but flow at 3-5 gal per hour would be a reasonable expectation.

Thanks Dub was curious :)

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
How much of a pressure drop does a standard full flow filter have? Only reason I ask is because I am still confused how the trasko works with a dual filter head. I assume the full flow would drop less pressure than the trasko (may be wrong). For example if at 80 PSI, the full flow dropped 3 PSI, that means 80 PSI is at the inlet of both the full flow and the trasko, and 77 PSI is at the outlet of both the full flow and the trasko (seeing as they are in parallel). Wouldn't that drastically reduce the flow through the trasko because there is only a 3 PSI difference between the inlet and the outlet of the trasko? Sorry if that didn't make a ton of sense, just trying to understand! Thanks.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Is it really necessary to use an thermostat? Stock system doesn't that I know of. My previous setup didn't have one installed and it still worked fine.