7M NA to......?????

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My 6.0L/Single Turbo was getting damn good fuel economy if driven carefully (would easily keep up with traffic driven in economy mode) throttle response was simply awesome even at 3psi.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
^LOL!

I highly doubt the OP will want to do something like that.

OP, if you want a good answer, state if you have a budget or not.

No budget. Get a 2JZ, build the head and you can high a high revving 2JZ, assuming a good bottem end, that will make 400 easy. You really don't need to touch the motor to make that power but cams are a plus that will move the powerband.

If you are on a budget, on stock internals with ARP's and a standalone with a 550CC injector upgrade can get you to 400HP-450HP. That is it. Create a build thread when you decide and ask questions if you don't know what should be done.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
All a matter of cash. Wanna spend 10k? Do a proper 2jzgte swap. Wanna spend 5 and under? Rebuild the 7m/source a new one and rebuild it. My swap was roughly 4 grand for everything and I did a mild, stock rebuild/gte swap.

Just don't stretch yourself any route you go. Do only what you can afford and don't cut corners.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
I figured it would cost a good 5000+ IJ not to sound dumb but the 6.0L is interesting, what engine is that? I am leaning towards the 2JZGTTE but I have read the second turbo has some clearance issues. Probably keep it stock, and yes put in 550 injectors and new arp head bolts. I already got a nice 3" exhaust from Raptor Racing from downpipe back.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Gen IV LS Chev, an L98.

You could pick up a cheap late model engine/trans and with minor work have your power and tweak it for economy.

I was running BIG injectors in mine and still got great mileage.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
I will probably go 2JZGTTE.... now I have heard that a good combination would be a 2JZ bottom end with a 1JZ head, would this be correct? Now I just have to get working on a parts list of what else I need. Turbo tach, inter cooler, 550 injectors, R154 manual, any way I am sure I will fine someone on here that has a list written up already.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Backlash2032;1697228 said:
2jz is much more fitting than a 1jz for a mk3. These cars need motors with SOME torque just to move their fat asses around.

Errr... 1j's were factory in Mk3's, 2j's were not. And torque on either is a joke without boost anyway... But no need to poke with sticks. :)

I look at it like this: If you need or desire your car for a daily, get a JZ or Chevy like IJ has suggested. If you just want a toy, and have the experience to build it right, and deal with it when/if it breaks, get a 7m. Among them all, I still say the 7m sounds best, but I need my car for a daily. Hence, 1j in my car.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
te72;1699993 said:
Errr... 1j's were factory in Mk3's, 2j's were not. And torque on either is a joke without boost anyway... But no need to poke with sticks. :)

I look at it like this: If you need or desire your car for a daily, get a JZ or Chevy like IJ has suggested. If you just want a toy, and have the experience to build it right, and deal with it when/if it breaks, get a 7m. Among them all, I still say the 7m sounds best, but I need my car for a daily. Hence, 1j in my car.

That is good to know. I will rethink the 1Jz, if it will fit better than the 2Jz. This is the kind of information I am looking for. I don't need to be "fast and furious" fast, but a daily summer driver that can hold its own.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Built 7M all the way!! However I am kinda biased;) On a serious note, I built my 7M three years ago and have beat on it, yet taken care of it, and I haven't had any problems...

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Isnt the 1jz just a destroked 2jz?

and if thats the case, wouldn't a 1jz swap be just as hard as a 2jz swap? Cheaper, im sure.. But difficulty level?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I would have figured the 1j being a Mk3 specific application would be common knowledge on here by now. Stock for stock, the 1j turbos fit the Mk3 without chassis modification, where the 2j needs the firewall smashed a bit if you want the rear turbo to clear. There is a TON of good info in the "other engine tech" section of this forum, for those of you who are curious or want to do a little fact checking. :)