7M NA to......?????

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
What to do what to do, need input. Right now I have a 7M NA, found a shop that build performance engines about 1 hour away. I was talking to them about building me a 7M turbo that can do 400-500 HP, then they started saying that a 1j or 2j turbo might be better since the stage 1 7M would be maxed at 500hp and the 1J and 2J can keep going. I have read a lot of thread on here that debate all 3. Still looking for more opinions on an awesome setup that will get my around 500hp and not be at the limit of the engine. thanks for your input.

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
I think most everybody who ends up with a 500hp 7M eventually goes 2J. Why not learn from others' experiences and just start with a 2JZ-GTE?

SGinNE

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Ummmm....*cough*

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...-in-Import-Tuner&highlight=duane+import+tuner

This is obviously an above and beyond example, but there are still reliable high horsepower 7M's out there. Build it right and it won't let you down. Cut corners or cheap out and yeah, you'll have problems. I'm not saying that the 1J or 2J are bad options at all, it's just the 7M isn't dead end. Personally I would stick with either the 7M or 2J just for sourcing parts. I know lots of stuff can fit on the 1J from other stuff, but there still are 1J specific parts and I like being able to walk to the parts store and say "I need one of these" if I need it right now.

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
One can find an exception to nearly every rule...this would be the 7M exception.

Good point about parts availability. I know there are lots and lots of guys here who have said that if they were to do it over again, they would have started with the 2J. I'm not sure I can think of anybody who went with a 2J and later wished they'd stuck with a 7M...could be wrong, but I can't recall any instances.

SGinNE

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Yeah, the big speed bump on going to 2J for a lot of people is also the inital cost of the swap. Even if you're starting with a blown 7M, it's still much cheaper to source a 7M than a 2J with all the bits necessary for a swap.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
LS1? Best bang for the buck in my opinion. Even a LT1 would work. Do some research, put a turbo on it, and make 400-500hp for around 6K. If you want to go a more cost effective route find yourself a iron block V8 with aluminum heads from a GM truck, put together a cheap single turbo kit and have 400-500hp for about 3-4K.

A recent issue of HOT ROD magazine holds a lot of info on the cheaper route.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Chambers;1696075 said:
LS1? Best bang for the buck in my opinion. Even a LT1 would work. Do some research, put a turbo on it, and make 400-500hp for around 6K.

Ewww... iron block v8? No thanks... probably not much heavier than the 7m or JZ engines, but I rather enjoyed the LS1 I had. Why turbo it when you can literally BREATHE on an LS and make 400-500hp? Shit, cam, headers, and porting on an LS1 and you're looking at a rather healthy 400+. Initial cost is gonna be at least as much as a JZ swap though, but there's nothing wrong with an extra couple liters to play with. ;)

Oh, and to the OP, if you go to a shop that's talking about "stages" I'd take my business elsewhere, lest they be playing too much NFS when they should be working...

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
PCguylovesSupra;1695998 said:
I ...... found a shop that build performance engines about 1 hour away.

That's nice,
But do they have any experience with:
1-imports
2-turbocharged
3-Toyotas
4- and last, but not least, 7Ms ???????

There are a lot of wana-bees out there.
If the shop doesn't have lots of Supra experience, look somewhere else.

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 PM ----------

te72;1696099 said:
if you go to a shop that's talking about "stages" I'd take my business elsewhere, lest they be playing too much NFS when they should be working...

Good advice TE,
"Stages" are like A$$ Olies, every con artist has several of them.
I hear someone mention 'stages', I run in the other direction.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
Yes they have experience with 7M's one of the owners had an 88 supra that he rebuilt not to long ago. That was one of the first things I found out and researched that they do know supras, turbos, and the engines that go in them. I feel very confident with them on that subject.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Id say spend time and money making the 7m bulletproof.

But then again, i love torque..

aaand i dont like the raspyness of the 2j..

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
Well I wasn't going to just come out and say it, but I'm going the TT V8 route as well...not a big fan of boosting the junk out of smaller displacement motors hoping for reliable power. I'm not scared of running iron under the hood though, so for some my setup is somewhat crude.

To each his own.

SGinNE

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
te72;1696099 said:
Ewww... iron block v8? No thanks... probably not much heavier than the 7m or JZ engines, but I rather enjoyed the LS1 I had. Why turbo it when you can literally BREATHE on an LS and make 400-500hp? Shit, cam, headers, and porting on an LS1 and you're looking at a rather healthy 400+. Initial cost is gonna be at least as much as a JZ swap though, but there's nothing wrong with an extra couple liters to play with. ;)

Oh, and to the OP, if you go to a shop that's talking about "stages" I'd take my business elsewhere, lest they be playing too much NFS when they should be working...

Iron block can be had complete for less than 1k, thats about the only plus. Ohh yea, with no turbo you can push 400-500hp, but some people just cant live without hearing that turbo spool. :)

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
I appreciate everything so far, I do wish to stick with 7M, 1J or 2J. The LSI or LSX are probably good engines I dont want all that horse power all the time. I am looking for a turbo setup that I can control the boost. Daily driving low boost, some honda rollerskate pulls up high boost.:naughty: I want to be able to make the HP but also have to consider gas prices a bit. I have found a few 2J GTE from JDM sources that some include a 6 speed manual. Would that even fit under a MK3?? Or should I not worry about the 6 speed and just go with a R154?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Well for what it's worth, even a big v8 at 5000rpm is only going to put out a bit of power if you're only giving it a bit of throttle. ;)

In my experience, NA engines are much better for driving and response/control, while turbos are great for massive power.

PCguylovesSupra

Happy go lucky......
Jun 18, 2007
Southwest MI
I appreciate the idea of a big V8, but that is not the way I wish to go. If we can get back on subject, I am trying to determine whether to put in a 7M GTE or 1J or 2J GTE, with an R154. Other than the 7M, which one would fit better in a MK3 or is there no difference. Looking for advice so not to make a bad decision on which way to go.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
2jz is much more fitting than a 1jz for a mk3. These cars need motors with SOME torque just to move their fat asses around.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Exactly, no replacement for displacement... unless you have an extra turbo or two :evil2:

There are still a dozen scenarios with the 6 cylinders, you could do a 2JZ-GE NA-T on 7M-GTE electronics, or a 2JZ-GTE with stock twins, a 2JZ-GTE with a big single, a 1.5JZ, a 7M with a big bad single, etc... It all depends on how much money you have upfront and how much you are willing to spend before you say its not worth it to me.

Personally I like the perspective of the 2JZ NAT on the 7M electronics, I'm planning on building one here soon.