7m main caps?

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
doing a engine rebuild and im gathering a parts list for what i need for safely holding 500-600hp. so far i have
arp main studs
arp rod bolts
clevite77 bearing set
eagle rod set
probe pistons .40 over
7m gasket set
arp flywheel bolts

i found all this on drift motion, my only problem now is the main caps. $589 is a little steep for the billet ones on suprastore, does anyone have any suggestions? are the stock caps ok to go with? is an upgrade really needed here? (id spend the $589 if it was a good idea, but if its better spent somewhere else id rather spend it somewhere else)

any info?

Selz202

More than Regular Member
May 1, 2005
Black Diamond Wa
Its really not necessary for those HP levels. I suppose it would just be a piece of mind mod or just 1 more mod you can put in your sig. I would move that money over for a better piston. I.E. Wiseco or J.E.

You're also missing head studs on that list.

You can upgrade the oil sending pipe also with a larger internal diameter one from ARZ here on the board.

Good time to also replace oil pump and water pumps.

Tim

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
Selz202;1151473 said:
Its really not necessary for those HP levels. I suppose it would just be a piece of mind mod or just 1 more mod you can put in your sig. I would move that money over for a better piston. I.E. Wiseco or J.E.

You're also missing head studs on that list.

You can upgrade the oil sending pipe also with a larger internal diameter one from ARZ here on the board.

Good time to also replace oil pump and water pumps.

Tim

head studs aren't on the list cause their already on the motor:naughty:
Are the probe pistons not strong enough for this level?

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
turbo87targa;1151641 said:
Are the probe pistons not strong enough for this level?

I sure hope so, LOL. It is all about the tune how much hp you will have and can hold.
lets see x-man putting down 700+ hp on stock internals :naughty:

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
92nsx;1151718 said:
I sure hope so, LOL. It is all about the tune how much hp you will have and can hold.
lets see x-man putting down 700+ hp on stock internals :naughty:

I thought so too lol, but selz202 said it would b better spent on better pistons?

Selz202

More than Regular Member
May 1, 2005
Black Diamond Wa
turbo87targa;1151873 said:
I thought so too lol, but selz202 said it would b better spent on better pistons?

There is word out that they are having problems with the rings I believe... haven't looked into it myself. Though its not that much more money for a brand that is tried and true.

Personally I couldn't careless which one you grab. Just a heads up.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Selz202;1151911 said:
There is word out that they are having problems with the rings I believe... haven't looked into it myself. Though its not that much more money for a brand that is tried and true.

Personally I couldn't careless which one you grab. Just a heads up.

"word out"... do you have any fucking idea what you are talking about?
that problem was only for a select few, there now NPR rings and no longer the total seal rings... please dont post information you have no idea about.

to the OP... go compare titan custom pistons, to a set of probes, and you'll see there damn near IDENTICAL. the probes were designed to be a good piston without the out the 400% markup of the JE's and the other "big name" brands.

and if you still dont believe me, go PM Doward, he helped design them.

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
Rennat;1151958 said:
"word out"... do you have any fucking idea what you are talking about?
that problem was only for a select few, there now NPR rings and no longer the total seal rings... please dont post information you have no idea about.

to the OP... go compare titan custom pistons, to a set of probes, and you'll see there damn near IDENTICAL. the probes were designed to be a good piston without the out the 400% markup of the JE's and the other "big name" brands.

and if you still dont believe me, go PM Doward, he helped design them.
If it's something one of our mods is in on it's good enough for me lol

So the rings problem is fixed? Or should I just pick up a set aswell?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
LOL!!!

The problem was with NPR in the first place - they didn't send enough rings (guess they thought the group buy was another MK3 all-talk-no-walk deal -- oops!) for the original group buy, so they had to substitute a set of Total Seal brand rings (not the gapless design). The problem is that the TS rings had a harder face than the NPR rings, so there have been a COUPLE (literally, I can only think of ONE person that had a problem) reports of them not sealing 100%.

Considering I still question the machine work that was done - well, I'll let you draw your own conclusions ;)

That said, I believe all the sets are now coming with the NPR rings again. Since getting these pistons going, they have been selling pretty regularly, and are now a stocked item.

The Probe pistons will handle your 600rwhp without a sweat.