7m into 87runner. need help !

supra4runner

Feb 15, 2007
vancouver,bc,canada
ok im just about done my swap. now i gotta turn to you supra gurus for some tech. anyways, i'am having problems getting my 7m to idle. it'll crank over but i would have to help it start by giving it some gas. i've check for vacuum leaks and there isnt any. my buddy told me to check the IACV but where is it exactly ? i might of missed it. can any put up a picture of it or show me where it is ?

here is a pic of the 7m in a 4runner engine bay.
p639236_1.jpg

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
IAC is that black round thing just to the right of where the Y-pipe connects to the plenum. It's also got the white 6 wire connector.

A massive air leak that kills the engine is probably not going to be possible with the IAC though, even if it's stuck open. That air would still be metered and you'd end up with a high idle at the very worst.

If you're sure there are no unmetered leaks, I'd check your ignition timing. I just completed a swap into my '85 cressida and was off by one tooth on the distributor - car idled for about 5 seconds then died, unless I gave it throttle. Sounds very similar to what you're experiencing.

Just out of curiousity, how's your PCV pipe hooked up? It looks like it's facing backwards.

supra4runner

Feb 15, 2007
vancouver,bc,canada
Supraboy89 said:
sounds like to me u are pulling air into the tb that is not being measured by the afm

where else would i be pulling air into the TB ?? i've check for leaks. and there isnt any.

mickyg said:
IAC is that black round thing just to the right of where the Y-pipe connects to the plenum. It's also got the white 6 wire connector.

A massive air leak that kills the engine is probably not going to be possible with the IAC though, even if it's stuck open. That air would still be metered and you'd end up with a high idle at the very worst.

If you're sure there are no unmetered leaks, I'd check your ignition timing. I just completed a swap into my '85 cressida and was off by one tooth on the distributor - car idled for about 5 seconds then died, unless I gave it throttle. Sounds very similar to what you're experiencing.

Just out of curiousity, how's your PCV pipe hooked up? It looks like it's facing backwards.

i found the IAC. checked it and notting wrong w/ it. the timing is dead on, i've check and rechecked again. i did the whole 180 degree thing, cuz it didnt crank over before. but after all that 180 thing, it finally started. it could be my wiring. gotta recheck that. i dont have a PCV pipe, thats an old pic. i got two K&N small filter there, its not hooked up because if i do roll it over and have that PVC i will get oil into my intake. with it blocked off no oil.

bahhhh...i just want my junk running..