7m I/C pipes hurting my head

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
kotu100;1374885 said:
no definitely not, see how the end tanks are, the air will be flowing in and out of that endtank without necessarily flowing through the IC core.

unless there was a splitter inside the endtank i see that being incredibly inefficient.

im certain it would have a splitter otherwise it would actually do nothing I could ask to make sure but ordering an ic from overseas is out of the question that other kit that was suggested would cost me $900 + 12.5% tax when it arrives I guess i could look into geting my end tank changed to be similar to that one of ebay

AndyMac

Mar 9, 2009
Canberra Australia
mytmk3;1374497 said:
So I thought I would try and be cleaver and do the I/C pipes myself with a universal kit and here is what I managed to come up with before I got to p$%t off and left the garage

Any one have some suggestions of a better way of running these pipes? I so wanta ffim!

I should also mention this is just a mock up and the red joiners are just there to hold it together cheap crap that came with the kit so most red sections im going to get welded
View attachment 30459
Will this cause my coolant and p/s fluids to get too hot?
View attachment 30460
should I run it this way
View attachment 30461
or this way? or something compleatly different
View attachment 30462
these last two just seem like waaay too much pipe work
View attachment 30463
and where have you guys put yor p/s resevior

I think your doing a fairly good job considering all of the power steering cooler lines are still in there. I am in the same predicament, I have a large turbo but want to run the compressor housing hot side cooler pipe underneath like stock. I havent attempted to change my pipe routing as i didnt think there would be enough room..... maybe I am wrong!

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
deabionni;1374571 said:
No comment, as I'm sure by now you realize the benefit of buying a quality kit made for our cars.

Why not get a piece of straight pipe and run it UNDER those hoses, similar to how the stock pipe runs? Running your pipe THROUGH and over those lines makes no sense.

That way looks better, and seems like it's a shorter path for the air to reach your intake.

Agreed. Once again, the difference between a cheap universal kit; and a quality kit designed to fit the Supra.

What's wrong with the stock GTE location?

Maybe I should have mentioned my cars RHD that is where the stock pipe runs where else could it fit?
ic @2 (Medium).JPG
ic @ (Medium).JPG

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
I used the cxracing universal kit and this is how it turned out along with a egay intercooler.

The intercooler I used bolts onto one of the stock brackets, that made it easy.

p1374927_1.jpg

p1374927_2.jpg

p1374927_3.jpg

once i figure out the accordian pipe the top pipe will sit level.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
92TealSupra;1374806 said:
Are you playing around or what? That is the kit I bought.
gurley0916;1374927 said:
I used the cxracing universal kit and this is how it turned out along with a egay intercooler.

p1374946_1.jpg

p1374946_2.jpg

p1374946_3.jpg

Ah! That's pretty much exactly what I want to do. Ebay here I come...

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Did you put the intercooler on backwards...? Just curious... I used a CXRacing universal kit with the Spearco Replica from Driftmotion. Fits pretty well with my 2jz, but I'm not using powersteering or AC. The lower pipe runs underneath the alternator lines and coolant line like a stock 7mgte, but minus the 7m gayness :biglaugh: Just kidding. Gotta love my 2jz :evil3:

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
gurley0916;1374927 said:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/gurley0916/Photo-0103.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/gurley0916/101_0169.jpg
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i283/gurley0916/101_0172.jpg

i almost got that kit, but the tiny core size steered me away from it. if it was a HKS or greddy (or other namebrand) FMIC i wouldnt have thought twice about it, but with the cheaper fmic i want the bigger core area. almost went with a 4" core but 3 should be enough for my power goals.

on a side note, the cxracing bolt on fmic that my buddy got had a cast elbow welded to the endtank not the 90* welded one thats there in the pics. maybe they updated the design, but not the pics.
you can kinda see it in his build thread.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101737

Last edited:

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
mytmk3;1374925 said:
Maybe I should have mentioned my cars RHD that is where the stock pipe runs where else could it fit?
View attachment 30478
View attachment 30479

Holy lack of room, batman! :aigo:

That does complicate things quite a bit. How did the stock piping run through that mess?

I'd try to replicate the route of the stock piping as much as possible, if there's room. Chances are, you're using a bigger pipe than stock so that may not be possible.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Nocheez;1374730 said:
Do you have the bumper support still on there? Did you move the PS coolers?

Bumper is off right now, but I did a test-fit when I mounted it -- it clears the bumper. I had to nudge the PS coolers a hair, but if I trim down the angle steel, it'd be a non-issue and would clear the fins no problem. I should probably mention that I mounted mine like the factory IC....angled...lol. I was looking to mount mine the most factory-like as possible, so I wouldn't have to notch the latch support and all that junk. It turned out pretty well I'd say.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
deabionni;1374740 said:
That may be true with some kits, but I've seen quite a few that leave the power steering reservoir in the stock GTE location such as these:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1375026_1.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

It's all in how you route the pipes. :)

What I meant by the Cooleeze pipe was the Turbo Inlet pipe, not the discharge tube going up to the 3k pipe/TB. I'm relocating my PS res because of that damn cooleeze pipe; the last time I put that thing on, it took me over 30min just to massage the thing past the PS res/bracket. The next time I tried putting it back on, I said 'Fuck It' and went back to the stock accordion tube.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
KicknAsphlt;1375022 said:
Bumper is off right now, but I did a test-fit when I mounted it -- it clears the bumper. I had to nudge the PS coolers a hair, but if I trim down the angle steel, it'd be a non-issue and would clear the fins no problem. I should probably mention that I mounted mine like the factory IC....angled...lol. I was looking to mount mine the most factory-like as possible, so I wouldn't have to notch the latch support and all that junk. It turned out pretty well I'd say.

Mine clears the bumper and is angled, but it still hangs too low to keep the undercover on. I'm gonna buy a cheapie ebay intercooler with the outlets on the same side, it's gotta be better than the stocker lying on my floor right now.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Nocheez;1375035 said:
Mine clears the bumper and is angled, but it still hangs too low to keep the undercover on. I'm gonna buy a cheapie ebay intercooler with the outlets on the same side, it's gotta be better than the stocker lying on my floor right now.

Couldn't you just notch the under cover where the IC is? Basically have a slot cut out of it that fits the corner of the IC.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
KicknAsphlt;1375081 said:
Couldn't you just notch the under cover where the IC is? Basically have a slot cut out of it that fits the corner of the IC.

I could, but I don't want to have a ghetto-fabulous MK3 :) I've been putting this upgrade off for about 4 years now, I want to do it right.

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
Heres my kit, 220$ is all it costed. Full aluminum piping to replace all the stock piping, all couplers and clamps included. 4 pieces only too!!! 3 From IC to TB, 1 from turbo to IC!!!

p1375922_1.jpg

p1375922_2.jpg

p1375922_3.jpg

I have since then adapted it to a spearco replica by using 3 2.5 inch 90degree couplers, 1 2.5 inch straight coupler, and about a 2inch piece of 2.5 pipe to connect 2 2.5's together, and then liek a 6 inch pipe to extend the one from the turbo to the ic so it reachs. Id get more pics but my mechanic is wiring in my safc for me (I dont trust myself with internals/electronics)

Heres also a picture of it with the FMIC mocked up, and the bumper slid on but not everything bolted back on etc, (Notice the trans cooler laying on the ground lol)

p1375922_4.jpg

But for 220$, i seriously don't think you can beat this kit!

mytmk3

Oct 16, 2007
christchurch
Ok round 2

I mite shorten my intake pipe a bit to pull the k&n away from the pipes a bit
ic n1 (Medium).JPG
What do you think about running it this way??
my concern with this route is its very close to my air filter :( I cant seem to win its just too dam tight to run it underneath without relocating all of my power steering lines
ic n2 (Medium).JPG

ic n5 (Medium).JPG

ic n3 (Medium).JPG

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
along with no hoseclamps, and a missing pipe.

thats just to make sure everything fit as marked. so when i weld it all tomorrow i dont have to cut and reweld.

Fubar231

Apr 2, 2008
columbus
kotu100;1376498 said:
along with no hoseclamps, and a missing pipe.

thats just to make sure everything fit as marked. so when i weld it all tomorrow i dont have to cut and reweld.

I was gonna say... But still, duct tape? Couldnt of got something that wont leave such a residue on your pipes.