7M-GTE; Ticking noise.

iskrem

Oct 1, 2008
Norway, Gardermoen
So, I've had a ticking noise for the last 10 months or so. Very VERY annoying and I can't seem to get rid of it.

I have a parallel thread on mkiiisupra.net, but I am getting really desperate for a solution.

Summary:
The tick came after 3-5 months.
1. Engine started to tick, sounds like valves
2. Local non-brand mechanic thought it was valve too.
3. Toyota looked at it and refilled some oil; amazingly the tick disappeared!! Coincident or not, I don't know.

I drove the car since the tick was gone. This lasted for a few weeks.
4. Tick came back and I tried to refill some oil; sound still there.

Since nobody could help me I still drove it about, making sure oil level were good each time. No loss of power. About 3-4 months later BHG!
5. Got a spare engine from a friend, sent the head to mechanic for overhaul. Switched my old head with the new head; hoping the tick would go away (if it was a valve), but tick is still there.

Had a few leaking issues, faulty timing etc. etc. but they are all worked out now except for ISCV, Speed-cable and this fucking noise!

5. Removed timing belt cover to check cam wheel location. Started the engine with the timinig belt cover off; ticking sound was louder.
6. Removed the lower time belt cover; nothing abnormal found.
7. Tip about loose manifold studs could cause noise. Took the two studs out and started the engine without, noise could now be heard when engine starts 0-1200 RPM (this could be a coincident as I only started the engine once after removing the studs) and as before when revving 2000-3000 RPM.
8. Time-sert'd the two studs and torqued all studs to 42-44 N-m. Noise is still there unchanged.

About the tick:
- The tick has come from engine startup only once (I didn't start more than once so might've been a coincident) from the startup range 0 to 1200 RPM. This lasted for half a second and was gone straight after.

- The tick (besides from the above) can only be heard in the range inbetween 2000 to 3000 RPM and only on acceleration. No sound can be heard on deacceleration, under 2000 RPM and in high RPM ranges (above 3000).

- The noise sounds louder when removing the top timing belt cover. But I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the valves as it is not even the same head I started with (see point 5).

Startup stage of noise from point 1 to 3 (noise differs from the others, which leads me to theory 1):
http://www.epic-fail.net/tick_old.3gp

Middle stage of noise from point 4 to this day.
http://www.epic-fail.net/ticking_new.mp4

Recent video afew weeks old. Crap videocamera-phone and broken ISCV.
http://www.epic-fail.net/sound1.3gp

Theories:
1. The ticking that started was actual a valve tick. Since oil helped and removed the problem, I might've had low oil levels. However, I was too frustrated to find out and ask the Toyota mechanic.

2. I'm fucked!

3. Blocked oil feeds/lifters.

4. Loose bolts on the flywheel?!

5. Exhaust manifold studs. (I think we can clear this one out)

Additional information:
- There has been no loss of engine power AFAIK.

I am really desperate now. This noise haunts me in my dreams! :icon_mad:

iskrem

Oct 1, 2008
Norway, Gardermoen
jdub;1410339 said:
The only way to eliminate the valves is to check the clearances.
Well, do you think it sounds like valve-tick?

Would be strange if both heads produces the same kind of sound. Wouldn't valve-tick be consistent throughout the RPM range?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You are going to need to check the clearances to see...anything else is a guess. It's not strange at all for clearances to be off on two different heads.

You could pull the injector plus one at a time to see if it stops.

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
What weight oil are you running?

The BHG could have been in the making for months before making itself obvious.

It only takes a few water molecules in the wrong places to drive the oil away and ruin a critical surface.

Rodknock usually follows BHG.

7mgte1988

7M-Runner
Sep 22, 2008
Orlando
Ive had a problem similar but to find out where its coming from accuratly u need a stethoscop...but i had an ticking sound on mine not long ago and turned out the vavle seat fell and it was hitting the the vavle when it open and close but the car did not smoke and ive had an BHG in the past....

And the sound also cam from the front aswell...

iskrem

Oct 1, 2008
Norway, Gardermoen
I am using Castrol W5-40 at the moment. I used Castrol EDGE 10W-60 before. Using the other because I am only going to use it for about 1000 KM (thats the time I have to pop the engine up again and re-torque head studs) before I do a full engine flush and refill with Castrol EDGE 10W-60.

EDIT:
Using fully synthetic.

Dakar2008

nookie
Aug 16, 2006
chicago, il
its a common thing for the 7m valve lifters to wear out, because it doesn't have hydraulic lifters, , it usually happens after bhg, the lifters are adjustable, just a pain,, it shows how to adjust them on tsrm, it could be the lifter or valve keeper tho. i had one the valve keeper broke and the valve fell into the cylinder and piston exploded.,

Dakar2008

nookie
Aug 16, 2006
chicago, il
EM_033.gif