7m-gte master rebuild kit...to buy or not to buy?

jake8790

Life's too short for N/A
Dec 18, 2011
Oregon
I wouldn't. You need to strip it down and take the crank, rods, and block to a good machine shop.

stolensupra

Gotta spray to play!
Jan 2, 2010
NORTH CAROLINA- Greensboro
jake8790;1882034 said:
I wouldn't. You need to strip it down and take the crank, rods, and block to a good machine shop.
+1FTW

Speaking from recent personal experience, I tried twice to cheap out on having a powerful reliable 7m MK3 in the last 3 years. I developed rod knock, just fixed the bearings and seals, and had it return 30 miles later, then tried to get a "low-mileage" 7m from Japan by way of Canada that blew the head gasket 400 miles later. As a result my baby sat for almost two years. You can't rush or cheap out with these engines; I've tried my best to do just that. If nothing else the cylinder bores need to be measured for clearance and roundness, the rod and main bearings need to be checked for clearance, re-ring the pistons (if bores in spec) or bore and use oversized pistons. Polish and balance the crankshaft. You might as well go ahead while the engine is apart and machine the block, head, and rear lower timing cover to 50RA or less, use a metal head gasket such as cometic or better, and ARP bolts or studs torqued in sequence per the TSRM to 85-95 ft/lb. Oil/water pumps, valve stem oil seals, and timing sets are also easily replaced and recommended at this time. If any of my info is incorrect someone please correct me. I hope this helps man. I've been there recently and just got my engine finished the right way finally.
"Cheap, Fast, Reliable; You only get to choose two"

Shanesmyname

Jul 14, 2012
Garden Grove, OC
Of course I am going to do it properly and have everything machined and checked and the whole nine yards. And I am not necessarily looking for high hp, I just want it to run lol. I am just wondering if anyone has personal experience with one of these kits. If they think the pistons would be quality enough for some miles on them.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I can see the appeal that such a kit would have, but I don't think it'll save much money.

From Drift motion:

$65 for NPR Piston set w/ rings
$99 for a gasket set
$129 for a 1.4mm Titan MHG ($179 for 2.0mm)
$120 for ARP ahead studs
$115 for Clevite 77 bearing kit.

Okay it doesn't include rod bushings, but it's all proven brands and parts and if you wait until the shop checks parts you can adjust for an overbore, or .010 off the crank if need be. You have a good mhgand can adapt for how much needed to be taken off to get it flat.

Much better deal, IMO.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
So far, I have had no issues with the kit I got from Flatlander. You can get it here, and $429 isn't a bad price. However, knowing what I know now, I would probably have gone with more robust parts, as my plans are no longer to be stock. But at a stock level this kit has done just fine for me. The thing to remember is to take your time and take care in your work. I spent about $600 to have the machine work done on my block alone. There are also certain gaskets in this kit you wouldn't want to use.
-AM3

Shanesmyname

Jul 14, 2012
Garden Grove, OC
Dan_Gyoba;1882497 said:
I can see the appeal that such a kit would have, but I don't think it'll save much money.

From Drift motion:

$65 for NPR Piston set w/ rings
$99 for a gasket set
$129 for a 1.4mm Titan MHG ($179 for 2.0mm)
$120 for ARP ahead studs
$115 for Clevite 77 bearing kit.

Okay it doesn't include rod bushings, but it's all proven brands and parts and if you wait until the shop checks parts you can adjust for an overbore, or .010 off the crank if need be. You have a good mhgand can adapt for how much needed to be taken off to get it flat.

Much better deal, IMO.

Yeah I like this deal better, I think I could rest easier at night knowing that atleast I have what the factory came with, and that can support at a minimum 400 hp...but it won't cost me an arm, leg and my left testicle haha. Thanks everyone for the support!