7M-GE transmission W58 to R154 Swap

hud43

hud43
Aug 15, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
What are the specifics in swapping a W58 with a R154? Searched and found a lot of info on the auto tranny to manual swap but, not the upgrade from W58 to R154 especially a R154 onto a stock 7M-GE. I'm looking to buy an unmolested, strait 86.5 hard top (I know...), high miles but engine still runs strong. The carrier bearing is shot and the tranny is sloppy (I can feel some vibration in neutral above 2000 rpm) as well as the fact that the clutch slips when dropping down a gear to pass. Want it for a daily driver while I finish my 89 turbo I've been working on for a while. I'm hoping my parts car R154 and drive shaft will bolt up. If the swap from the W58 to the R154 is just a quick and easy fix, I'll make the purchase.
Thanks for the help.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
r154 will require a new pressure plate and may as well get a new clutch. I believe the flywheels are the same. Slave cylinders are different, and driveshafts are different. Then you just have to worry about wiring in reverse lights.

If you have a parts car with all the drivetrain, and you're going to have the transmission out, you may as well upgrade

RPSil13

Nov 30, 2006
Anaheim, CA
Backlash2032;1698436 said:
r154 will require a new pressure plate and may as well get a new clutch. I believe the flywheels are the same. Slave cylinders are different, and driveshafts are different. Then you just have to worry about wiring in reverse lights.

If you have a parts car with all the drivetrain, and you're going to have the transmission out, you may as well upgrade

flywheels are different