7m ffim using 1jz manifold?

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
dmiller;1417722 said:
anybody done this that could tell me how difficult it was to do?

as far a i know the only way to do so is to use the 7m runners and cut and welt it on to the 1jz intake. to be honest it would be easier just to make your own.

mk3design

The Name is Snakes
Jul 1, 2006
Arizona
I dont think it would be easier to make your own as you already have everything you need. You just have to be able to weld alumn..

It would be interesting to see how far apart the runners are on the 7m compared to the 1jz though, it would be easy to cut and weld both but if they didnt line up close it wouldnt be worth it.

And you also have to consider parts costs... Im not sure how much 1jz manifolds are - if you an find them even, but 2jz manifolds ive seen go from $200-250. Plus the cost of labor assuming that you cant weld aluminum yourself and cut the runners flat. Total cost around $400-500+.. And you can find a custom made new one on here for a little more than that.

dmiller

suspension>power
Jun 30, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
mk3design;1417745 said:
I dont think it would be easier to make your own as you already have everything you need. You just have to be able to weld alumn..

It would be interesting to see how far apart the runners are on the 7m compared to the 1jz though, it would be easy to cut and weld both but if they didnt line up close it wouldnt be worth it.

And you also have to consider parts costs... Im not sure how much 1jz manifolds are - if you an find them even, but 2jz manifolds ive seen go from $200-250. Plus the cost of labor assuming that you cant weld aluminum yourself and cut the runners flat. Total cost around $400-500+.. And you can find a custom made new one on here for a little more than that.

yeah i found a manifold for $60

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas

7m - 1j comparison.....if you weld the 7m runners to the 1j plennum, it puts the plennum waaayyy close to the fuel rail. I made a custom lower runner 7m-2j so I can run a 2j intake. Parts, fabrication and relocation of things, I should have just bought one from a member here making them. Cost was the same if not more.

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
bryanintexas;1418431 said:

7m - 1j comparison.....if you weld the 7m runners to the 1j plennum, it puts the plennum waaayyy close to the fuel rail. I made a custom lower runner 7m-2j so I can run a 2j intake. Parts, fabrication and relocation of things, I should have just bought one from a member here making them. Cost was the same if not more.

So i'm guessing that guy that was making the FFIM's doesn't anymore ?

boosted2085

I was spoolin :(
Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
yeah the one from suprasport is pricey but nice, but ron r. makes nice ffims also...yeah a turbo upgrade would be a good upgrade first

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
dmiller;1423168 said:
Your work is beautiful. The only problem is that im a sophmore in high school without any money. Im trying to get a job. I purchased a 1jz manifold for $60 and ill see how it matches up when i get it.

Haha yea I understand thats actually how I came to start making manifolds! No money so had to find away to make my own parts and now I am here 6 years later! Anyways as mentioned make sure he is a good welder as welding 20 year old cast metal is a nightmare! And not to sound negative but I am guessing you are going to have $400-$500 in labor by the time you are done. With a welding/fabing shop rate of $75/hr you will be there in a heart beat. Lots of work mating the two! But good luck!

Seth

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
slow_yota;1423468 said:
lol, nice self promoting there bud. =]

Gotta do what you gotta do, just lets people know I am here to help. I have tried a whole lot of things since my FFIM so I have a pretty good base of knowledge. Enough to know that I will soon be away from using any of the stock/cast parts and just have a line of CNCed pieces cause working with oil soaked cast aluminum is miserable and dirty!

Seth

dmiller

suspension>power
Jun 30, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
sethron71;1423540 said:
Gotta do what you gotta do, just lets people know I am here to help. I have tried a whole lot of things since my FFIM so I have a pretty good base of knowledge. Enough to know that I will soon be away from using any of the stock/cast parts and just have a line of CNCed pieces cause working with oil soaked cast aluminum is miserable and dirty!

Seth

my friend has a welder so i was thinking of using his to do it myself

boosted2085

I was spoolin :(
Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
sethron71;1423540 said:

Seth

oh yeah forgot about seth....he has nice ffims also

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
slow_yota;1423831 said:
lol..Alright bud.Im a very good Mig short circuit and Axial spray arc Welder but even i would be scared to mess with Tig'ing cast aluminum, The metal is brittle and Tig is an art.

Seth just curious, Do you pre heat and post heat your cast aluminum ?

Just preheat it and if it is in the winter and the shop is cold I will sometimes put if in a warm oven to cool down but during the summer I just let it cool at ambient temp.

As mentioned good luck, I have tigged for 6 years now and can still be better. Try practicing for 100 hrs on useless stuff before you even mess with a cast piece. The inconsistencies will eat you alive and you will end up with a puddle of goooo of a manifold lol. Not saying I am a master at all but it has taken me a lot of practice to get where I am now!

HTH,
Seth

dmiller

suspension>power
Jun 30, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
sethron71;1423839 said:
Just preheat it and if it is in the winter and the shop is cold I will sometimes put if in a warm oven to cool down but during the summer I just let it cool at ambient temp.

As mentioned good luck, I have tigged for 6 years now and can still be better. Try practicing for 100 hrs on useless stuff before you even mess with a cast piece. The inconsistencies will eat you alive and you will end up with a puddle of goooo of a manifold lol. Not saying I am a master at all but it has taken me a lot of practice to get where I am now!

HTH,
Seth

well i still have to save up $300 for an intercooler and however much pipes will be so ill have time to practice