78-88 to 89+ ecu adapter

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
Hey, I traded some parts I had for an AEM 30-1130 Standalone ecu for an 89-up 7mgte but my car and harness is a 1987 turbo. I would love to trade straight across for someone with a AEM 30-1110 for the 87-88 supra, but since that is unlikely to happen, I need to make an adapter to make it all work. I have an extra junk yellow plug ecu and a set of grey plugs from the 89-up engine harness to make my adapter. Now, my question is, did Toyota stick with the same wire colors or did they change it all up? I guess what I'm trying to say is can I match the wire colors on the adapters and make it all work? I looked through the AEM documentation on it, randomly selected a few wires, and the colors matched the functions according to both. I have tried looking through the online TEWD on it, but I haven't found a page listing the connector pinouts and their functions. It would just make things so much quicker if all I had to do was match wire to wire. Anyway, thanks in advance for your help.
-Dane

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
don't go by wire colors, use the pin positions on the plugs. AEM has some good literature that includes a table of what pin controls what, so the best way would be to look at the 86-88 and 89+ tables, and match them up.

since your building an adapter harness, it's also a great time to wire in any additional sensors or switches that you want to run with the AEM, without hacking up your stock harness.

Pyro15D

kind of a lucky dude
Aug 24, 2008
Whidbey Island, Washington
Well, I decided to make the adapter, and much to my surprise, most of the wires match by color. I think there were less than 5 wires that didn't match, and they were for tems and such, so that is a good thing to know for anyone who is wanting to do something similar. Just a heads up for you guys. The car runs using a 89+ AEM ems running a 87 harness.