6m motor 7m crank pulley

san supra

May 21, 2009
san antonio
i know the 6m and 7m crank are interchangeable but does a 7m pulley fit a 6m motor?

know a guy with a 6m motor and he said he tried the 7m pulley and it didnt work.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
This is a great question. Did the 6m motor use a different size pulley or belt set up than the 7m motor? Got to be a pic of one floating around somewhere.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
6M motor:

5M head
5M pistons
6/7M crank
6/7M rods

Blocks are the same.

There are little things that will drive you nuts about the motor as it's a transitional motor and some things are half 5M and half 7M. One of the best threads on the subject is here: http://www.celicasupra.com/forums/s...rankenmotor-quot/page3&highlight=6mge+rebuild

Now, if it's simple a 6M crank version of a 7M, disregard all that and slap your friend.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, 6M dampener is unique to the setup. The timing gear setup is a bit odd as well, you either machine a 5M lower timing gear shorter, or use a 7M lower timing gear, 7M oil pump gear (also need to use the shaft to clear the rods), and a 7M belt.

The real issue is the accessories and lining them up. 7M pulley bolts on, but getting everything to line up is the issue. Tanya's car runs only the water pump and alt, PS and A/C were deleted. There is a way to run the PS off of the water pump pulley, but you still lose A/C. The alt belt is thinner than it should be, and will sometimes slip. It's annoying, but 6M pulleys are extremely rare.

Supposedly you can have the 5M pulley bored out and broached to fit the 7M crank, but I think it might be easier to get a custom pulley made from ATI. Fair bit safer too.