600hp 1JZ supra vs 600hp Gt500 vs 650hp C6 z06

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Exactly:

Exibit A:

3rd gear roll punch. About 6-7 cars behind you can see in his mirror. The time I pass I'm doing 120-130......in a matter of seconds

[video=youtube_share;JZDcA6BU_QQ]http://youtu.be/JZDcA6BU_QQ[/video]

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Albert;1911123 said:
Exactly:

Exibit A:

3rd gear roll punch. About 6-7 cars behind you can see in his mirror. The time I pass I'm doing 120-130......in a matter of seconds

[video=youtube_share;JZDcA6BU_QQ]http://youtu.be/JZDcA6BU_QQ[/video]

Rub it in, rub it in,

I'll be on your tail hp wise in a few months ;)

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
so, if I were to cut a custom 5th gear to max @ 150mph (think stock 7m rev limiter) then it'd be ok?

nice, Albert.... never get tired of seeing/hearing your car :cool:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
150mph? 4th is good for that. I don't remember what a 7m's stock rev limiter is. Mine will turn to a little over eight grand without any worries.

According to my calculator, I'd be doing 170 in fourth at eight grand, so 150 wouldn't be any problem. At 7000 rpm, I should be at 150mph.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I'm still confused on the not boosting in overdrive talk. What about salt flat cars? I'd be surprised if anything but their first or second gear are anything but an overdrive gear... yet you don't see them blowing up every time they make a pass. Sure, a lot of them are dedicated cars, but I've seen plenty of normal cars out there too. Thoughts? I guess I just don't understand how it could put undue stress on an engine is all, at least if you were in the power band of the engine anyway.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Its not a matter of it being over drive or anything. Thats completely irrelevant.
The issue is that its a long gear. So your in it for a long time, thus the turbo is fully spooled and the motor is producing maximum hp for an extended period of time unlike the lower gears where its full power for a second maybe two, then shift.

The stresses are enormous! Also heat build up is a major issue as well. The exhaust housing and turbo manifold are likely red hot at this point. Certain ares of the head and also the center of your pistons are hundreds of degrees hotter than normal. All of it adds up to alot of stress simply from the longer than usual WOT with 100%+ load.

I would not agree that you "shouldnt" do it, but should be cautious. If something it going to break, its likely going to be in 4th or even more likely, 5th gear while WOT.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Actually, I find that 1st is really really quick, 2nd is pretty quick, 3rd will take me to 165 kph if I try to get near redline, but not as quick... Fourth is my dump gear. I have only had it up to 190 kph and still had more left, but that was on the road and doing that speed is insane... On a roadway. Fifth is cruising gear for fuel economy and relaxing. But I still hit boost in it when going through mountains... However it's not high boost... Only about 1-2 lbs. I don't think that is what your talking about though.
I couldn't use fifth in a race because I enjoy life too much

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
pbasil1;1918147 said:
Its not a matter of it being over drive or anything. Thats completely irrelevant.
The issue is that its a long gear. So your in it for a long time, thus the turbo is fully spooled and the motor is producing maximum hp for an extended period of time unlike the lower gears where its full power for a second maybe two, then shift.

The stresses are enormous! Also heat build up is a major issue as well. The exhaust housing and turbo manifold are likely red hot at this point. Certain ares of the head and also the center of your pistons are hundreds of degrees hotter than normal. All of it adds up to alot of stress simply from the longer than usual WOT with 100%+ load.

I would not agree that you "shouldnt" do it, but should be cautious. If something it going to break, its likely going to be in 4th or even more likely, 5th gear while WOT.
Ahh, that makes much more sense, thank you for the clarification, although I knew all that already. Just wasn't sure if there was something mystical going on that I didn't understand...

That said, considering all the longer 4th takes in a relatively stock state, I'm not worried about 5th causing any more issues once I get some things put together here soon. :evil2:

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
When I was learning how to drive my father told me overdrive is for maintaining a speed not accelerating. Idk if he was talking about this topic or not but most likely he was.

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Idk why does it really matter who is in 5th gear boosting?

I mean under wot my car goes way to fast wrapping 3rd gear out to 8500rpm. Let alone shifting into 4th

xCxHxRxIxSx

Mar 4, 2011
Oakville, Ontario
It has more to do with the stress on the bottom end. Think about a bicycle and how hard it is to pedal in a high gear at low speed. You have to be in the correct gear according to your vehicle speed and rpm. Basically WOT at 2000rpm in 5th gear is not a great idea.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Albert;1919463 said:
Idk why does it really matter who is in 5th gear boosting?

I mean under wot my car goes way to fast wrapping 3rd gear out to 8500rpm. Let alone shifting into 4th

It's not the that, it's the principle. Cuz I mean shit, how fast are you doing when you peg second? Breaking most speed limits?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If I'm boosting, Im doing about 80 MPH minimum going into 4th... 5th is somwhere around 100-120 mph...

Having said that, I still boost in 5th, but its mostly just for going up hills or increasing my speed a little bit, not WOT...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Guys, to clarify my intention and driving styles, here are the two reasons I could see myself boosting in 5th:

-Running at a track where reaching speeds in excess of 165 are entirely possible (looking at Bonneville salt flats mostly, unless by some miracle I end up driving my car in Lemans :p )

-Passing traffic on the highway. Quick squirt of the throttle, little bit of boost, and you're around them. Even on the twins it will hit 10-15psi within a second or so at 75-80mph in 5th.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
awesome, I love hearing that thing rev out.. starting to make me think upgraded twins is a waste they'll prolly drop off after 6000 rpm and with my cams I can prolly rev closer to 8k