#6 bearing (connecting rod)

w8me1st

boost addict
Apr 5, 2005
Last Exit Before Hell, Arizona
is it just me or is it common for that bearing to be the cause of rod knock? i was just wondering cause i remember reading in a toyota forum that upon his disassembly, number 6 bearing was also why his engine began knocking. if it is common, just needed to know any precautions before assembly so it doesn't happen anytime soon. i have an 87 w/ 130k miles. wasn't low on oil, pressure read normal as usuals (thru out rpm), and had been 2 days since i chaged the oil. then after i had a little fun w/ an srt4, heard a new noise (barely noticeable) at the next light. srt4 driver wanted to go again cause he shifted late out of 2nd, thats why i got ahead of him. luckily for me a cop pulled up before light was green and home i went. but tomorrow everything will be put back together and wanted to know if theres anything i need to know while i have everything out.

any input is greatly apppriciated. thanks

w8me1st

boost addict
Apr 5, 2005
Last Exit Before Hell, Arizona
thanks gixxer and grim jack. was just curious. but it sounds like any bearing is possible. and 6 being the furthest makes sense too. is there anything i need to know other than making sure everything stays clean clean clean?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'd seriously suggest pulling the plugs on the crank so that you can clean out the galleys in there. Otherwise, your problem might have been caused by a plugged galley and the new bearings will only last minutes at most.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
orignal motor - spun bearing #1 + rod knock. Not sure what cyl's though.
2nd motor - rod knock #6.Copper colored bearings where as the rest are still grey/silver.

Ive seen on some cranks (not sure of the engine)the oil holes have been modified by putting a slight Vee shaped slit running before and after the oil hole in the crank.
eg | ==O== <!-- Vee shaped slit
Anyone heard of this or done it?

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
On a used motor I bought, #1 and #6 were factory perfect. 2,3,4,5 were worn. IJ told me it was caused by detonation. IJ was right, as verified by other experienced engine builders. New #2 bearings brought everything back to snuff. I got a good spare motor.