5w40 synthetic for a 1J?

midnight_mk3

May 22, 2009
Staten Island, Ny
Hey sorry if something like this has been asked before. But after doing some research on what kind of oil to use on my 1j swap I've decided on Castrol 5W40 full synthetic. I've heard that it's ideal to look for the lowest value for the first number as this represents cold temp viscosity and since the latter number is viscosity at operating temps(correct me if I'm wrong) that it would be good to have something heavier on that end.

Before this I used to use 20w50 Castrol non synthetic in my 7m,because a lot of friends recommended heavier weight oils for old turbo motors like the 7m. I never really had an issue but...knowledge is power right?

Basically I want to know if this is a good type of oil to run or if I should stick to something heavier & non synthetic for a 1j swap, that's probably going to have the usual amount of mileage you'd expect from a used jdm motor.

Any help or insight would be appreciated I want to keep this motor healthy. :biggrinbo

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I've been running Rotella 5w40 synthetic for a long time now, barely have any burn off at all. The only bit of burning off I suspect is coming from one of my twins... Good oil, and not terribly expensive. Also ran Rotella 15w40 (non synthetic) for a while and never had any burning with that, although it was a tad hard to start when the weather would drop into the -30°F range...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I'd use German Castrol 0W-30 (European Formula, says made in Germany on the back label). It's the only true synthetic (Grp IV PAO) Castrol sells in the US - that includes the 5W-40 you are referring to. It's viscosity hot is very close to a 40W.

Rotella 5W-40 is an excellent oil - I've been using the 15W-40 version in my Powerstroke Excursion for years. Rotella 5W-40 is a bit higher viscosity for me than what I'd use in a 7M, 2JZ or 1JZ.

Instead of "I heard", read the Motor Oil 101 link in my sig ;)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
te72;1699130 said:
...Also ran Rotella 15w40 (non synthetic) for a while and never had any burning with that, although it was a tad hard to start when the weather would drop into the -30°F range...

Gotta love that ;)

I agree about Rotella staying put though. Must have done well on the NOACK.

midnight_mk3

May 22, 2009
Staten Island, Ny
jdub;1699170 said:
I'd use German Castrol 0W-30 (European Formula, says made in Germany on the back label). It's the only true synthetic (Grp IV PAO) Castrol sells in the US - that includes the 5W-40 you are referring to. It's viscosity hot is very close to a 40W.

Rotella 5W-40 is an excellent oil - I've been using the 15W-40 version in my Powerstroke Excursion for years. Rotella 5W-40 is a bit higher viscosity for me than what I'd use in a 7M, 2JZ or 1JZ.

Instead of "I heard", read the Motor Oil 101 link in my sig ;)

I see, then I wasn't too far off. Thanks for confirming on that & I'll make sure to give that guide a thorough read. And @ te72..-30F ?! that's crazy we don't get temps that cold here in NY...
Would there be any advantage to running something heavier on the hot side?like maybe in a motor that sees high rpms often?like a drift car or something?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
jetjock;1699292 said:
Gotta love that ;)

I agree about Rotella staying put though. Must have done well on the NOACK.

Not really, it's friggin cold up here some days. Gotta love that my car DOES start though... and NOACK?

midnight_mk3;1699407 said:
And @ te72..-30F ?! that's crazy we don't get temps that cold here in NY...

You're also a lot lower elevation and near a relatively warm body of water... We're stuck completely inland and in the mountains of a frozen desert. I've seen colder, but not too often... :nono: