5v square output tach signal?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
does anyone know if any of the tach signal wires output a 5 volt square signal? im looking for one to hook up a switch to...and i tried the normal wires to hook it up to but its not working... i called the company i got the switch from and they said it needs a 5volt square output signal for the tach for it to work properly...

any help?

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
More info...

Don't know if this will help or not b/c I'm still not too sure what you're trying to do...

I just installed an autometer tach and wired it to the existing tach wiring in my dash. After flipping a couple of the switches on the back of the tach it worked fine. I didn't really know if it would work like that or not as in the past you used to have to get an adapter that would convert the signal. In my case it worked, in yours you may need a tach adapter.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
hey guys thanks for the help...

heres a link to the switch.. its an RPM ACTIVATED SWITCH...

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/sftlight.htm

scroll down a bit and youll see it...

it has a switch on the inside that you configure to tell it how many cylinders... i set it to 6 obviously... i attached tach wire from the switch to the black wire coming out of the back of the tach (the one that goes to the ignitor)...didnt work...then i attached it directly to the IG- (i believe it is) right next to the diag box in the engine bay...didnt work... then i went and attached it to the CPS RPM input signal going to the ECU..NE1 i believe it was... that didnt work either...

i called them up and they said it reads off a 5volt sqaure signal for the tach...so im lost and confused on why it isnt working...i thought maybe broken switch...BUT i had gotten two of them...and the other one isnt working either...

the switch has four wires... 1 for tach, 1 for 12v, one for ground, and one for the shift light...obviously the switch connects to ground... heres a pic of the wiring diagram i was given...

ive tried numerous grounds...ive got the 12v hooked up to the same wire going into my voltmeter so i KNOW its getting 12v (this wouldnt be permanent im just trying to get it to work :( ) , ive got the light hooked up to the light wire coming from the switch and then also to the 12v coming from the voltmeter (again not permanent)...and ive tried numerous 12v for the light connection as well...

im completely at a loss of why this switch isnt working...any help would be appreciated...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
garrettrowe said:
You want the IGT wire.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM/fi/FI_050.html
And damn, that's an expensive rpm switch, if you're just using it for that...

hmmm well ill try that one...wouldnt that be the same signal from the back the of the tach and whatnot? either way i guess ill try it ;)

and as for price... it was buy one get one free... so 50 bucks for 2... so 25 bucks each...and its exactly what i wanted cause im trying something special ;)

so i guess ill try that wire...thanks man

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
UGH...the IGT wire didnt work either... i also tried the wire that i have my AFC2 hooked up to for RPM (which the afc2 reads PERFECTLY) and it didnt work either...i dont get it :dunno:

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
oneandgone said:
Try reversing the 2 switches that you set for 6 cyl. :dunno: Can't hurt to try it, can it?

hehe yeah i tried the reverse setup for 6 cylinder, the 4 cylinder setup and the 8 cylinder setup...

i honestly think these just might now work for some reason with our cars...

on that note...

garrett.....you said that was a hefty price for a rpm activated switch... you have a site or a link with some for sale..that WILL work for our cars? i just need a rpm activated switch that will work with these cars...

help?