5spd swap question, car is on lift......

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
no where in the 5spd swap information did i read that it needs a different speedometer cable and the automatic one does not work, is it just that i didnt catch that part or is the auto one supposed to work?

Whasian

CEO of HAS
Jun 12, 2007
Houston
www.myspace.com
89Turbo;994222 said:
my car is 89, guy off craigslist who sold me the tranny told me it was an 89 trans too.
I would recommend buying a new lower speed cable, connecting that and see if that fixes your problem. The lower half (the part coming from the transmission) seems to bind up

Whasian

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
so its actually the gear and sleeve assembly that he was looking for, my manual apparently didnt come with it and the auto one is too small. the hunt for this piece should be fun.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Doesnt the 5speed have a L shaped piece that goes into the transmission so the cable wouldn't bind up? Actually, both should have something like it.

I didnt have to change speedo cables on any of the 5speed swaps Ive done, which is 4 of them.

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
mkiiSupraMan18;996113 said:
Doesnt the 5speed have a L shaped piece that goes into the transmission so the cable wouldn't bind up? Actually, both should have something like it.

I didnt have to change speedo cables on any of the 5speed swaps Ive done, which is 4 of them.

this explanation will be way easier when i get pictures up, but the cables will end up being the same, both auto and r154 have an L shaped piece but the actual piece that goes in the tranny with the gear on the end is different size so i need that piece.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=3304&P=1

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
The auto actually has a 3-4 inch metal piece at the end that the 5-speed does not have. take it off, and your cable should match up I believe. Now, it should work, but I don't think they will still read correctly from one to the other. It will be off by a few miles per hour at slow speeds, and get further off the faster you go.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
strange my 89 auto speedo went to my 88 r154 easily. (the cable was a little long but not much to be a problem)

89Turbo

Oct 22, 2005
Portland
no, cable will be fine, i need the piece that goes in transmission becuase my manual didnt have the gear and whatnot in it apparently.

mods please close thread

big yoggz

ok i am now able to see that most of u guys have no idea of what the hell ur talking about!!!

i just did a 5 speed swap from an auto link 2 days ago.... the cables are the same. just make sure that where are installing the cable that the little nipple goes in the right way inside the tranny.... just take a good look inside the hole where cable goes to and match it up with the cable....:3d_frown: