5M lower radiator hose install question

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
I'm replacing my lower radiator hose with a 5M lower hose as I've read that it fits and saves some space over the 7MGTE hose. I purchased the NAPA 7777 hose and I'm having some trouble with it fitting correctly. I even trimmed approx 1" off the top per a recommendation in a 5M thread here.

It seems to want to sit in the space between the PS pump and side wall of my engine bay (where the A/C and PS hoses run). It's a tight fit and is jammed in there pretty good once I install it on the radiator outlet. I'm worried that over time a hole will develop from it rubbing against things.

Am I doing something wrong? I reversed the direction and that didn't seem to help, in fact it made it worse because it wanted to sit between the PS pump and fan. Here's a pic of how it sits without being attached to the radiator (I haven't put the clamps on yet which is why one is sitting in the middle of the hose).

4848153650_312a018b89.jpg

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
I trimmed the side that connects to the motor so it pulls closer to the PS bracket. Mine doesn't rub any where but i used some spare hose to wrap the middle of it so if it does, its protected.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
no loopty loop around the IC piping. For those with larger IC piping it makes it easier to fit them. Other wise no performance gain.

nuggets

Apr 14, 2009
Boston
Good idea to wrap it, grimreaper. I already trimmed about an 1" off the motor side but I'll take another look. I guess I just have to play with it to get it right.

Whitemike, as grimreaper said, no performance gain but man, does it make access to that side of the block easier. Between swapping my PS reservoir with an N/A one and installing this 5M hose, there's a lot more room.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
grimreaper;1599957 said:
I trimmed the side that connects to the motor so it pulls closer to the PS bracket. Mine doesn't rub any where but i used some spare hose to wrap the middle of it so if it does, its protected.

I did exactly the same.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
hmm so it seems my previous owners did this, i always wondered why it was easier to get my oil filter off on my car vs my buddies.