5m head on 7m bottom end?

bluemk3

cool
Feb 28, 2006
h burg, PA
i guy around here did this why would you ever is there any possitives to the single cam head swap at all or is he full of shit his reasoning is that the 7m head is weaker under boost but i find it harder to believe also he plans to make 500 hp and over 30 psi of boost is this kid just ful of shit or is it just me

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
wat?

I'm sure he means the 5MGE head, which is not SOHC... it's DOHC but has 12 valves.

And it's very possible that he could make that kind of horsepower out of a home made 6MGE (that's what he's talking about btw.) Russ Matusevich was making upwards of over 700whp out of his 6MGTE hybrid motor.

Oh and I doubt the 7M head is any "weaker" under "full boost". Plenty of people running crazy hp with 7M heads.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, a 6M is closer in block fittings to a 5M than a 7M. The 6M is basically a stroked 5M to 2954cc displacement.

To put a 5M head on a 7M though... Sure. It'd work.

To say that the head is weaker... I'll call bull on that one. The head gasket is one thing, but the head itself is just fine. If you want a stronger head, better take a step back to the 4M or so (which is single cam) for a cast iron head.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Dan_Gyoba;895161 said:
Well, a 6M is closer in block fittings to a 5M than a 7M. The 6M is basically a stroked 5M to 2954cc displacement.

To put a 5M head on a 7M though... Sure. It'd work.

The 6MGE IS a 7M block, early 7MGE to be exact. The castings are the same, it's just the cylinder head and pistons that are different.

Last edited: