50 years ago today

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Wow, Sheppard was 50 years ago huh? First "history" that I can say I honestly remember was the Berlin Wall being torn down, I think I was about 5...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
This was a great thing... hell, still is, IMO. My only regret is that we seem to have moved away from space to concentrate on kicking the shit out of each other inside the atmosphere again. I fully expected to retire in orbit... now it looks like my grandkids won't even see that.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
te72;1707684 said:
Wow, Sheppard was 50 years ago huh? First "history" that I can say I honestly remember was the Berlin Wall being torn down, I think I was about 5...

LOL, I remember when they built the Berlin Wall. Still remember pics in LIFE Magazine of dead East Germans who were trying to escape to the West.

GrimJack;1707773 said:
This was a great thing... hell, still is, IMO. My only regret is that we seem to have moved away from space to concentrate on kicking the shit out of each other inside the atmosphere again. I fully expected to retire in orbit... now it looks like my grandkids won't even see that.

You might still have a chance Grim, you know they're planning on building a retirement "Colony" on Mars.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
This makes me sad too, we discontinue funding for NASA to pay for more wars, entitlement programs, and other domestic BS... Granted, I'll be the first to say that while I love exploration and adventure, I *never* expected NASA to ever really accomplish anything all that meaningful.

That said, I think Branson is the best hope we have of keeping this sort of spirit alive...

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
To be honest, I'm ok with the government funded programs dropping off and being replaced by private concerns. IMO the private guys will do a better job anyway. At least they don't spend weeks debating the virtues of a new style of shelf.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Me too man. I figure there's a lot less red tape involved too. All a private company would have to do to cover their ass is make people sign waivers to avoid issues... That and I have more faith in the private sector to tell the truth about their findings and happenings.