5 Speed wireharness with auto tranny?

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Well, here's the story. Im getting a totaled 7MGTE. It is a 5 speed w/R154, me and my cousin is going to tear the car apart and i will take the motor and he will take the tranny. There is nothing wrong with the motor, the car had got into an accident and the driver side headlight area is pretty much pushed in. I have a 89 NA Auto, we were wondering if i do a motor swap do i have to bypass anything (clutch) for my tranny since it is different? Or will it will be plug and play. I think it is different but i have never done a swap like this before so im not sure wat to do. Another question, do all 7mgte have a oil cooler? Because the one on this car went bye bye. Im really looking for this swap so im very excited:naughty: .

Thanks
Duy...this is how to pronouce my name Dewie lol

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
No, It WON'T work. If it was the other way around it would. You should have no problem getting better money out of the 5-speed harness on ebay. But, it may take a while to find an Auto harness.

But, as I type, PM me if you need an Auto harness when you are ready. I have a friend who may have one.

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
ForcedTorque said:
No, It WON'T work. If it was the other way around it would. You should have no problem getting better money out of the 5-speed harness on ebay. But, it may take a while to find an Auto harness.

But, as I type, PM me if you need an Auto harness when you are ready. I have a friend who may have one.

When the harness is out of the car i will PM you. Thanks

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
iwannadie said:
lol, Im going to be swapping my auto for r154 soon and will need a Man harness and selling my auto harness I guess...

The Auto will work for both tranny's, so you won't need to swap harnesses. The difference, I'm told, has something to do with the neutral safety switch on the Auto tranny. If you use it on a 5-speed, that wire is not used.

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
So, let me get this straight once and for all. The AUTO harness will work for EITHER trannies, auto and manual. However, the 5spd harness will not work for the auto tran? So to fix that problem i will need to change the harness. Also, the ECU will need to be changed too or will it be fine?

And congrats on your car, good to hear that it is running.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
You seem to have it straight on the harnesses. I wasn't even thinking about the ECU, but ya, you will need to swap that too. Due to the confusion on this, the 5-speed stuff is worth more due to being what everybody wants. Demand drives the price. Those who are unsure, demand the 5-speed stuff when their auto stuff would work. Then the lack of Auto demand keeps those parts cheaper (most of the time).

The guy I know is not a forums guy, but he has 10-15 harnesses. They are all of assorted years, and some are good, and some have had pieces borrowed from. He is an Auto loving guy. My harness came from him. He brought me all of his wiring and said find what you need.