5-speed swap info - how to get cruise control and ABS working

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I've been trying to get the speed sensor to get my ABS and cruise control working, and it looks like they're the same damned part according to the TSRM:
http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=BR&P=68

Can anyone confirm? Have I been putting this off when the sensor sitting on my garage floor is the one I need?

edit: read the thread, if you used the wiring information on Supraforums (black and white wire together for start, the other two to the backup-light switch) you'll be without cruise control. Post #21 explains what to do to get cruise back. For ABS (if you got a transmission that doesn't have the rear speed sensor) you'll need to get an R154 speed sensor and wire it up. I haven't gotten that far yet.

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
You're confusing different speed sensors in the car. Btw a quick look at the EPC shows the rear ABS sensor appears not to be the same between auto and manual. At least they have different part numbers. Using your page as a reference they're clearly different too.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Good point on the TWED.

So, basically, what do I need to do to get cruise control back? It looks like I need to send either power or ground to the cruise control computer on wire 6. That's the only thing I see that might be missing.

edit: also, will using that speed sensor get me back my ABS? It'd be nice to get that light in the dash off.

Last edited:

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Not sure about terminal 6 as I'm a 5 speed. Appears to tell the CC and TCCS you're in OD but I'd have to look at the CC manual (yes, there is a separate manual for it) to see what that pin actually does on an auto but I'm unable to do that at the moment. For starters I'd run the CC diagnostics to see if all the sensors check out and go from there. ABS does not use that sensor. It's an autonomous system, as it should be.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
jetjock;1055603 said:
Not sure about terminal 6 as I'm a 5 speed. Appears to tell the CC and TCCS you're in OD but I'd have to look at the CC manual (yes, there is a separate manual for it) to see what that pin actually does on an auto but I'm unable to do that at the moment. For starters I'd run the CC diagnostics to see if all the sensors check out and go from there. ABS does not use that sensor. It's an autonomous system, as it should be.

Alright. I get the cruise control light on the dash when I turn it on, but pressing the set button does nothing. If you get a chance to look it up I would appreciate it greatly. I've got a road trip in 1 week and would like to get cruise functioning again. ABS can wait.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
I'll do that but I doubt it's your problem. Run the diags in the interim. The TSRM tells you the "secret handshake" for that:

http://tinyurl.com/3kombk

In fact that entire section of the TSRM is pretty good about how the thing works. It's just not all that great when it comes to the schematic type stuff. Bottom line is even if it's working lots of things can keep it from engaging. Parking brake, clutch, stop light, brake fluid level switch, things like that.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Should I have mentioned that I'm 5-speed now, but still running the automatic electronics? It'd be great to make a guide for those who've swapped and want cruise and ABS back.

john93t

Oct 19, 2007
Norwich
This is the rear speed sensor from the A340E...
p1056089_1.jpg

It is not the same as the one from a R154....

7M-GTEric

Sep 27, 2007
Knoxville, TN
The harness as well as the sensor itself are diff. I too have the ABS light and the PO had a diagnostic done at Toyota that pinpointed the rear sensor; I pulled one off an 86.5 A340 junkyard car but didn't even bother buying it once I saw it; completely different sensor altogether. My cruise works fine, however...

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
7M-GTEric;1056351 said:
The harness as well as the sensor itself are diff. I too have the ABS light and the PO had a diagnostic done at Toyota that pinpointed the rear sensor; I pulled one off an 86.5 A340 junkyard car but didn't even bother buying it once I saw it; completely different sensor altogether. My cruise works fine, however...

Did you also do a 5-speed swap?

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
7M-GTEric;1056379 said:
Nah, R154 from the factory. Our cars actually seem to have been identical from the factory, cept for the tranny :biglaugh:

If I find myself near the TN border sometime we'll have to meet up :)

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
They're different.

The sensors are magnetic type sensors. The Auto has an extra pin, that my hunch tells me has to do with OD. You should be able to use the Auto. I didn't even bother.

I posted a WTB ad and got one.

I'm in no mood to pull the Auto Sensor off. But i can get you pics of the R154 sensor if you want. :)

7M-GTEric

Sep 27, 2007
Knoxville, TN
Nocheez-definitely! I plan to get on the ball and meet some local Supra guys when I get home. They say you don't know what you've got till you lose it-to say I miss the Supra would be a massive understatement haha.

As best I can recall, the A340E's sensor looks completely different and mounts differently as well, but it's been a while since I was under my car :icon_cry:

Seems like I've seen alot of vids/pics where people have the ABS light on, on both 86.5-88's and post 89's. Is this a common problem?

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Zumtizzle;1056828 said:
I'm in no mood to pull the Auto Sensor off. But i can get you pics of the R154 sensor if you want. :)

That would be nice! I've got an auto one lying here, but would love to get pics of a manual one to compare.

7M-GTEric;1056857 said:
Seems like I've seen alot of vids/pics where people have the ABS light on, on both 86.5-88's and post 89's. Is this a common problem?

I can't say. Mine's never had an issue with the original transmission or the replacement automatic. I swapped an R154 in that doesn't have the speed senor (must have been a non-ABS car) and now I'm without ABS or cruise.

It appears that the cruise control issue is related to some wiring difference between auto and manual cars, which is what I'm trying to find out. Search is useless in this regard, and there aren't any guides in the FAQs here or at Supraforums that I can find.