4th of July Eh!

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
theWeezL;1069571 said:
"On July 2, 1776, Congress adopted the Declaration of Independence, signed only by Charles Thompson (the secretary of Congress) and John Hancock (the presiding officer). Two days later Congress approved the revised version and ordered it to be printed and distributed to the states and military officers. The other signatures would have to wait.

The following year, no member of Congress thought about commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence until July 3 - one day too late. So the first organized elaborate celebration of independence occurred the following day: July 4, 1777, in Philadelphia. Ships in the harbor were decked in the nation's colors. Cannons rained 13-gun salutes in honor of each state. And parades and fireworks spiced up the festivities."

But leave it to a Canadian to argue the point...Like I said its tradition that marks the date nothing else. I also believe that the celebration of Independence day is now more about what we have become as a nation than what we were 232 years ago.

I dont celebrate Canada day because Im not Canadian, I dont see why Canadians would care about how or why we celebrate the 4th.

NOW ::salute:: OR :: IJ. ::

What does me being Canadian have anything to do with me caring? .. and second, I don't really care but was simply "wondering". I pointed it out since many don't seem to know their own history about what happened. It was a mere point I was mentioning while being curious or wondering why..:icon_bigg

Why would I salute again?!! Remember, I'm not an American as you put it, I don't "care" :icon_razz. Fact is, I spend much much time down in the us of eh! and I love it there :)

The Declaration was first published as a printed broadside; the famous handwritten version was created after July 19, and was signed by most Congressional delegates on August 2.

"This is a recording" *insert area code first*

Back to my original post and maybe I wasn't clear enough. I was simply wondering (and I put "wondering", why July 4th is the celebrated day when the documents were signed on August 2nd. I realize that it was "thought of", that part is obvious don't you think. ;)

A question would be asked, well, why debate? I'm not really. but more curious. Fact is, if I was around in those days, maybe I would have debated since it doesn't make sense to have something signed on one day and celebrate it on another....but I'm only Canadian! What do I know! :biglaugh:

Happy DOI day in advance :biglaugh:

Duane

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I guess I should have a put a smiley in my post somewhere, I didnt mean to sound pissed off or like I thought you were being disrespectful or anything...

But the point still remains and has been said more than once. The SIGNING of the declaration is of no consequence. The adoption by the congress of the language of the declaration is what is actually celebrated (even though that is still actually off by two days). In other words, the declaring of independence from british rule was made, in deed and spoken word, by the then leaders of the new government on or about july 2. When the official document was later printed and signed was only an affirmation of those ideals.

Again it is more of a tradition than a specific date an action is commemorated.

If that isnt clear enough I dont know what will be. Hell if you've watched Jay Leno and seen the walk of fame allstars you know just how stupid the average american is. I bet a good number of them if you stopped them on the street wouldnt have a clue about either side of our little history lesson here. I bet some even think we gained our independence from Canada! :sarcasm:

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
theWeezL;1069661 said:
I bet some even think we gained our independence from Canada! :sarcasm:

That's why it is the U.S of EH! :biglaugh: Yes, smiley's make a difference. ;)

Think of it this way then...Curt Cobain kills him self on the 4th but thought of it on the 2nd, does this mean he killed himself on the 2nd now? :evil2:

I just said what you did ;) I know it was thought of or adopted but I am speaking of the actual signing. Clear as mud? LOL I think many people will learn something here.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I got a better one. If we declared war on China tomorrow but didnt send troops until next month when did the war start?

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
theWeezL;1069685 said:
I got a better one. If we declared war on China tomorrow but didnt send troops until next month when did the war start?

I could do this all day, seriously, I'll just wait for your reply :rofl:

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Poodles;1070070 said:
Couldn't have been as bad as mine Ken...

hard to celebrate when you're used to celebrating with someone...

you just failed this thread.....

come on man....you arent the only man whos had his heart broken....happens to all of us....now pull your underwear back up!

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
"Today, ten percent of Canada's population (three and a half million people) are direct descendants of Americans who lost the fight for independence. In a way, we are all family, on both sides of the border"

http://tinyurl.com/6dw86y

My 4th was great. Took the family to Oregon and Washington. The folks in Vancouver still know how to put on a show. I only wish Evergreen Airport was still open. Made getting there (and leaving) a whole lot easier...

MkIII_Jeff

squirelly wrath!
Mar 2, 2008
Roseville, CA
I hit up the Blues Festival @ McCall waterfront park in Portland. They had 2 barges w/fireworks, one on each side of the Hawthorne bridge. Made for an awesome day that ended in late night shenanigans =)

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
wow cant belive people came so far to see the fort's fire works.

i dont like to hassle with leavin or arriving there, not to mention my neibors put on a block party and about 300-500 people show up every year.

hope every one had fun!