4k RPM turbo lag?!?!

Shanesmyname

Jul 14, 2012
Garden Grove, OC
Is it normal for my turbo to begin building boost at 4,000 RPM? My motor is all stock except for some unknown cams, and the turbo is the original style CT26 and has no shaft play or anything, looks like it has low miles. Also, I think there is bigger injectors in it, but it runs smooth.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
definitly not normal, my old blown ct-26 could make 10psi by 2.5k rpm
and my fresh 57-ct26 would make 14psi @ 2.7k and 18@3.2 ish

Shanesmyname

Jul 14, 2012
Garden Grove, OC
It's an r154, and clutch is good, definitely nothing slipping. It for sure has to deal with the engine. and I know the car is running really rich, I get like 9 mpg, could that be hindering it?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
some restriction in the exhaust maybe?? when i took down my ancient original exhaust (which i ran for a couple months) i found wrenches in that Mo'fo. :runaway:
*TRUE STORY*

customs

Dec 29, 2008
Edmonton Ab
IndigoMKII;1863717 said:
Wastegate stuck open would never make anything.
The wastegate may not exactly be completely open. The seat where the gate sits could be worn out. This would not allow the gate to seal properly. I would be checking this first off.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
customs;1863727 said:
The wastegate may not exactly be completely open. The seat where the gate sits could be worn out. This would not allow the gate to seal properly. I would be checking this first off.

If the gate was stuck slightly open, you wouldn't get the BAM effect he's saying. When he says BAM I'm thinking from not going anywhere to full boost haulin ass. A slightly stuck open would cause the PSI to crawl up.

7mboze

Oct 30, 2008
odenville ,al
I had that the exact same issue with an upgraded ct-26 60-1. I had 3 things going on so I dont know which one it was. But had a code 52 which retarded the timing, exhaust manifold leak, busted intercooler cooupling(boostleak).

Shanesmyname

Jul 14, 2012
Garden Grove, OC
IndigoMKII;1863759 said:
If the gate was stuck slightly open, you wouldn't get the BAM effect he's saying. When he says BAM I'm thinking from not going anywhere to full boost haulin ass. A slightly stuck open would cause the PSI to crawl up.

Well yesterday I had most of it apart to inspect it. And I noticed that there was some damage on the vacuum part of the wastegate actuator. But I also noticed that the arm itself isn't completely dirty, so it is showing signs of it moving. And another thing I noticed was half a court throughout all my intake system, in the throttle body, in the intercoolers and in the intake side of the compressor housing. I'm thinking PCV went bad.