4000 for a 7mgte swap?!?!?!

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
the w58 will hold. parts alone will go past 2k as said. but thats what happens when you swap ge to gte. theres alot of FS threads here, you could start sourcing parts. I'd find a motor first.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Rob_Supra87;1374107 said:
how much can i go and still keep it a dayly driver lol

depends on your driving style and how much you can "forgive"...

my 89 has a HEAAVVYY clutch, I'm used to it, but anyone else would get tired of it after a few minutes, so in that sense, it's not a good DD...

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
2000+ in parts? so I cant just go order a 7mgte engine with clip for liek 1400 and pay Runner to do the swap? also how long would the swap take you? So I called again and I FIRST asked if I can sell him my engine and he said yeah when I told himt he miles and that brought the price down to 3400 with the tranny swap.....

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Rob_Supra87;1374175 said:
2000+ in parts? so I cant just go order a 7mgte engine with clip for liek 1400 and pay Runner to do the swap? also how long would the swap take you? So I called again and I FIRST asked if I can sell him my engine and he said yeah when I told himt he miles and that brought the price down to 3400 with the tranny swap.....

i wouldnt mess with him there is a lot of good shops n cali look at tha vendors but if u want a cheaper route id pay sum1 off here wit exprence and itd b cheaper i got a r154 n my garage and 2 7mgte wit the turbos n everythings 1 rod knocks other uknown came wit tha car im goin 1 jz but if u need any parts or anything pm im located n merced cali....... good luck wit yr project

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
you need more than just the engine..

you need the igniter, wiring harness, intercooler, intercooler piping, oil cooler, ECU, tachometer, downpipe, exhaust, etc..

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Rob_Supra87;1374175 said:

on a good day when the heat isnt looking to murder... a day for motor trans to be in. as for all the accessories....hmm, depends. but once the motor/trans is in its basically bolt on and plug and play. its not magic ah 7mgte in a day running kinda thing. but a few days will have it running or damn close as long as there is no issues.

1,400 for a clip?? hmm, I'm flat out picky on engines even more so when you dont know the condition of a motor. do your homework and lets see how it plays out. read a little on ge to gte swap if you already havent. another thing is dont go tearing into a car when you got work monday morning kinda deal you know?

maybe find a bucket to get around in first?? you dont need to find a catch half way through and no car to get to point a to b.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
i have your aim, i'll talk to you tonight if need be.

MK3Runner and I are experienced on the 7M and I have space slowly opening up, and we'd only need the car for a week.

R154 IMO isn't needed at "stock" levels.

We're very careful too. ;)

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
ok so all in all how much for everything with R154 and without, so can me and you get together to look for all the parts or just you look for the parts, show me the receipts Iw ill reimburse you with a little extra. Is turboing the 7mge not worth it? if it is how much would that be for you to do?

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Sounds easier to just turbo the ge. Your already got the engine and all in the car.

Besides, I don't front money for parts you know. I ain't baller with money right now anyways.

I'd Na-t it.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
NA_T is going to cost you pretty much the same if not more, not to mention you need to change the head gasket unless you want to turn your boost way down (high compression pistons are in the NA), you will have to pull your engine to change the clutch anyways, theres so much more work involved and you need basically everything from the 7mgte besides the shortblock and head anyways, so what is the point.

wuestda

Beemer
Jul 2, 2007
Ohio
Rob_Supra87;1373840 said:
Ok you guys, I called a place int he bay area that specializes in supras and said it would be around 4000 for a trany swap and engine swap and I would get a engine with low miles.....you guys know of a place that can do it cheaper? he said it would be 1800 just for labor lol come on guys help me get my turbo fix :) for 4 grand I can just buy a second supra lol

Drive to Ohio - I had mine swapped for 1,680 out the door!!
(That's not including the new Engine)

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
^I think unless they could get the swap done in a day with him sitting there then theres no point in doing so. He has a job to be to so its not that easy. Hell, who in the world would wanna drive from California to Ohio just to get an engine swap when theres nice people in the area that can do it. I hope you were being sarcastic with that lol.

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
yeah MK3runner and Zumtizzle are helping me so this should be interesting when I got the money lol, the place charged around 8 grand for a 1jz swap so just curious, is that a better deal? and do 1jz's need alot more maintenance then a 7mgte?

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
A 1JZ swap requires a lot more and they are cool. BUT if you take care of the 7M it can be a very reliably and fun motor. So I'd just go with the 7M-GTE swap and be done with it. Plus you don't have to worry about smog especially if it's your DD.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
a 7m just needs good proper amounts of oil, a retorque from time to time depending on setup and someone that doesnt treat it like a civic or a nissan 200sx :sarcasm:. those 1.5l and 200sx owners tend to lack intelligence.

not saying thats you, just that its not a big issue to keep a 7m alive and healthy for years to come.

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
So would it be a good idea to order a part every month for the swap? like off that list ont he forums of eveyrthing you need to do the swap?

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
If your really positive about doing the swap then I would say yes. However it works out for you would be the best way to do it.