4" Speakers in door?

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Ok, so i finally got around to put my speakers from my old car into the supra. (theyre 4" infiniti's) Ok, so i get the speaker pod out and i take out the stock 3.5". Then i notice that theres pretty much no way that this 4" is gonna fit unless i hack it up like crazy. So my question is, does anyone have and recommendations on what i should do? Do i hack up the box? Do i make something completely different for the speakers?

Thanks in advance! :)

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
steven89 said:
Ok, so i finally got around to put my speakers from my old car into the supra. (theyre 4" infiniti's) Ok, so i get the speaker pod out and i take out the stock 3.5". Then i notice that theres pretty much no way that this 4" is gonna fit unless i hack it up like crazy. So my question is, does anyone have and recommendations on what i should do? Do i hack up the box? Do i make something completely different for the speakers?

Thanks in advance! :)

going to bed bump.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
shiiiiiiit are you serious i bought some 4''s like 2 weeks ago and havent looked to install them yet, o gawddddd

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Well, its like theyre too deep. And they wont even fit in there right. Its either massive trimming. or make your own speaker holders i think. If it can be done for sure with massive trimming ill do that. But so far no luck.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
Alright, so here we go. 4" Infinity Reference speakers. With a wooden holder i made. :) Pics mounted tomorrow! :D
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Edited to update picture links

Last edited:

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
they will fit the stock door pod. just go in there, fold the jute padding down, away from the speaker. then, notice there is a reinforcing ridge protruding towards the speaker opening. get some Side-cuts, dykes, or whatever and cut this flange flush w/ the back of the pod. i successuflly installed these exact same speakers in my 89 by doing this.

with these speakers running off the 02 WRX 6disc in my supra, they are bright and LOUD. you WILL have to turn down the bass going to these speakers, install a crossover or use bass-blockers and limit the bottom end going to these things, at least 100hz blockers. i personally want to use a high pass filter coming in at 150hz.

when i turn these speakers up to drown out my unmufflered side exit exhausts, they are LOUD as hell and practically ear-piercing. when i get done driving, my ears are ringing. i love these for the mids and highs, especially considering they are very senative and do well for not alot of input power.

however, id like to get some midbass, like a 5.25" midbass/woofer and separate tweeter component set. anyone try to mount 5.25"s in these door pods?

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
flubyux2 said:
however, id like to get some midbass, like a 5.25" midbass/woofer and separate tweeter component set. anyone try to mount 5.25"s in these door pods?

I didnt have any luck trimming the stock pods to make these fit. but anyways.

http://gallery.sanitylapse.com/v/supra/Front+Speaker+Install+1-21-06/

Heres the idea i followed.. but this is for bigger speakers, after making mine, i think itd be a challenge to make any bigger than 4" fit in homemade holders.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
if i were to do it that way... i would just get the 91-92 pods for 6.5" and tweeters. your setup is a free-air just like the 91-92's are... i wanted to retain the "Reflex" setup w/ the ported enclosure like stock... but i guess if the pre-91 pods were better for mid-range response and quality, they would have stayed with it rather than switching to the free-air 6.5" components eh?

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
steven89 said:
Yeah, i didnt want to hack up the stock holders because if i ever did sell the supra it would probably be all stock. heh

You can't even tell though once you put it all together. Here's a picture of what it looks like mounted:

img01831024fs8.jpg

Door panel/speaker cover fit on over them just fine and looks completely stock.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
:p I think this looks stock enough. And it doesnt hang by 4 screws like the ones above.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Oh, and my stock boxes are fully intact. So I can put them back in whenever.