4.8L Turbo build

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
Sorry everyone! Its been a long time with no update!!! I've been pretty busy these last few months with my new job and house to here the quick summary of whats been going on.
-Bought a house came with this sweet garage (4 car)!!

Decided to clean the garage and have a party in it!

Bought another vehicle!

Started putting my motor back together.

Went to the cottage.

Finished putting my motor back together

Played life sized jenga

And helped put this back together

Now I need to get back to work on the car!!

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
So it has been WAY too long since an update so here we go
Best and cheap way to mock up exhaust routing

Decided to make my own fuel pump hanger for Duel 400s

Replacing the stock rad support

Hood latches

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
Had to put a different radiator in since the other one wasn't cooling the engine

So i got creative and mounted the headlight motor in a new location so the wider radiator would fit

Put down some good numbers for 10PSI

New rubbers

sheedy126

Boost Addict
Apr 30, 2012
kennewick
Just wow. The new piping and fitment of the turbo is great. You did an amazing job and looks like it put down some good numbers on low boost!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
sheedy126;2088735 said:
Just wow. The new piping and fitment of the turbo is great. You did an amazing job and looks like it put down some good numbers on low boost!

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Thanks! It was a ton of work, but in really happy with how it turned out

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Nice to see that you got to the finish line on your project.
So many of the builds go unfinished on here, including mine!
Mine's past the 4 year mark. Time to complete it.

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
supraguy@aol;2088977 said:
Nice to see that you got to the finish line on your project.
So many of the builds go unfinished on here, including mine!
Mine's past the 4 year mark. Time to complete it.

Took me 4 years to get mine done too don't worry is will get there.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Thanks! It was a ton of work, but in really happy with how it turned out

I can no longer see any of your pics. How did it turn out? Which oil pan did you end up going with? How was the clearance over the rack and pinion? How much clearancing did you have to do to the trans tunnel? Did the 4.8 tilt and couple of degrees up front when all said and done, or did it sit completely level? Which intake manifold? Fbody brackets and accessories? Sounds like you used the stock PCM. Which engine management did you use to tune. Which turbo did you go with? How does it spool on the low end? Did you go with any kind of "turbo" cam to help with spool and low end drivability? Looking back what would/should you have done differently with the build?

I'm in the beginning stages of a 5.3 build myself. Not going to turbo it right away. I just want to get it running under its own power for now. I'll be using the R154 with the Advance Adapters Gen III SBC to toyota R151 adapter bellhousing kit. I have a '99 Camaro LS1 oil pan on the way. I'm hoping that's going to give me enough clearance over the rack. My build is going to be stock for now. I'll upgrade as I go along.

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
I can no longer see any of your pics. How did it turn out? Which oil pan did you end up going with? How was the clearance over the rack and pinion? How much clearancing did you have to do to the trans tunnel? Did the 4.8 tilt and couple of degrees up front when all said and done, or did it sit completely level? Which intake manifold? Fbody brackets and accessories? Sounds like you used the stock PCM. Which engine management did you use to tune. Which turbo did you go with? How does it spool on the low end? Did you go with any kind of "turbo" cam to help with spool and low end drivability? Looking back what would/should you have done differently with the build?

I'm in the beginning stages of a 5.3 build myself. Not going to turbo it right away. I just want to get it running under its own power for now. I'll be using the R154 with the Advance Adapters Gen III SBC to toyota R151 adapter bellhousing kit. I have a '99 Camaro LS1 oil pan on the way. I'm hoping that's going to give me enough clearance over the rack. My build is going to be stock for now. I'll upgrade as I go along.

Try downloading this Extension in chrome https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Looks like there are ones for other browsers too

Firefox/Android version: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/photobucket-fix

Opera version: https://addons.opera.com/es/extensions/details/photobucket-hotlink-fix

I used the F-body oil pan and I made my own motor mounts to my clearances were fine. If you use the R154 you will just have to make sure you line everything up right and you shouldn't have any issues in the trans tunnel I used a 4L80e and had to cut and reweld some of my tunnel. LS1 manifold worked for me. Most of the car intakes will work without a problem (try to find one without the EGR on it, one less hole to plug). I used the can in the big bang theory article on hot rod magazine and it worked really well the S472 spooled great. When i was on the stock PCM I used HP tuners but not I am using a Holley EFI Dominator ECU and its great.

Last edited: