4.8L Turbo build

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
So, after being sick and tired of messing around with the I6 motors I decided to get a GM 4.8L V8. It's a LR4 out of a 2003 truck. Quite a few people are pulling big numbers on these motors and running the 1/4 mile in the 9's. We'll see how this goes.
Picking it up. Getting it in here wasn't easy at all lol
sm_photo_missing.jpg

placing it in for fitment. I just shimmed the motor where I wanted it and started making mounts. I got a mock up trans from summit it was so much easier when using an real one and not to mention cheaper.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Trans it weighs about 10lbs
sm_photo_missing.jpg

mounts
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

me welding away
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Started to mess around with the manifolds and found out the head was cracked. Good thing I got the motor locally and there was a warranty on it! They were originally just going to replace the head till I pulled it off and found sludge in it. It pitted the cylinder walls and at that point I just got a new motor from them.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

New motor lets try this again
It fits pretty well
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Steering column clears with no problem
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I think the turbo is going to end up sitting here I'm probably getting a BW S472 of S475
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

most likely putting the radiator fan in the front to gain some extra room in the bay too.

Last edited:

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
Riceman83;1888924 said:
Glad to have another ls build. Looks like yours is a lil further than mine.
Do you have a thread going for yours yet? I haven't really done much the only took a weekend let me know if you need any help with the mounts.

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
msimsi10;1888928 said:
Do you have a thread going for yours yet? I haven't really done much the only took a weekend let me know if you need any help with the mounts.

I just got my mounts done and I made drawings. I am thinking about putting a few sets together. I used the stock isolators. Did you solid mount your engine?

Here is a link to a guy local to me that has a build thread on LS1tech. He has a 4.8L turbo setup in a probe. Right now he is just trying to put the power to the ground.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1373962-ford-probe-turbo-4-8l.html

Last edited:

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
MightyAl;1888960 said:
I just got my mounts done and I made drawings. I am thinking about putting a few sets together. I used the stock isolators. Did you solid mount your engine?

Here is a link to a guy local to me that has a build thread on LS1tech. He has a 4.8L turbo setup in a probe. Right now he is just trying to put the power to the ground.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1373962-ford-probe-turbo-4-8l.html

That looks good. I'm just am not sure what accessories to run on the motor what kind of alternator mount did your buddy use?

Notsafe1jz

Aug 16, 2012
Ohio
Are you staying FI or throwing a carb on that thing?

LSX motors(and their sister engines) are the shit. They pretty much give you 400 to 500 whp for free with the right set up.

msimsi10

Jun 28, 2009
Novi, MI
Notsafe1jz;1888996 said:
Are you staying FI or throwing a carb on that thing?

LSX motors(and their sister engines) are the shit. They pretty much give you 400 to 500 whp for free with the right set up.

Staying FI probably a Borg Warner S475

MightyAl

Jun 5, 2005
Chesterfield, MO
msimsi10;1888988 said:
That looks good. I'm just am not sure what accessories to run on the motor what kind of alternator mount did your buddy use?

He built a custom mount because all he is running is an alt. No power steering or A/C.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
This is what I'm going to do if this 7m decides to give out on me. 4.8, or the 5.3 is good for me. Good luck on build, post lots of pipcs and tutorials, and vids when running. Thanks.

Riceman83

Eat rice it funds my mk3
Sep 9, 2012
Arkansas
msimsi10;1888928 said:
Yes it's under red lead sled lol

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I saw a magazine article using that engine I think, they put a eBay turbo on it and made 400 some horsepower, and only spent like $2500 for everything. After I saw that I knew it was a engine to consider, glad to see someone thinking outside the box. What kind of room do you have for a downpipe?