35W HID Vs. 55W HID

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
Does anybody have any pictures of the difference between the usual 35W HID kits, and the newer 55W HID kits?

Apparently the 55W is about 30% brighter still!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
They're crap. OEM retrofit or stick with Hella E-Codes + Osram bulbs and a good rewire. In all honesty, my Hella E-codes with crappy Sylvania Silverstars are just as bright as the crappy 35w HID kit I had. This is all in my Pickup. I blew 3 ballasts, and two bulbs. I'm done with that crap. Stay Halogen, or do a quality OEM retrofit.

/thread.

SuperNova

May 29, 2008
Grand Prairie, Texas
+1 You should just stay away from those cheap Plug-n-Play kits. They have a really crappy light pattern, making them no different than regular halogens. I'm going to do an OEM retrofit myself, probably with Acura TL projectors and ballast's.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
yeah my e-codes with 35watt HID 5000k are nice and bright but there all over the place lol. im thinking of just keeping this till it blows and prolly try a TSX retro like my BMW.

we can meet up and i can show you what a 35wt HID with e-codes look like. pm me if you want.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
im running 35w kit in e-codes an arizzle is right light out put is only a little bit better than good halogen bulbs. Heres a pic of my 8000K kit before i aimed them lower to show what they look like at stock height (i think mine were higher than stock but thats how i got the car *shrugs*). and 4300K or 5000K would obviously be better but i got these at a cheap price so i figured WTH ill try em out.

p1221330_1.jpg

SC Rydah

Sep 20, 2008
New Jersey
I have a couple of questions. How long did your 35W or 55W HID's work til they blew? What are Hella E-Codes? And how do you set up a OEM retrofit - like TL ballasts & bulbs - to our cars?

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
hah. Alright. Well guys i have had a set of 8000k HID's in my headlights for about a year now. Havnt had ONE single problem with them. They are deffinately brighter than halogens as i have compared and taken pictures with various bulbs and housings. Yes, they scatter the light everywhere, but it is DEFFINATELY brighter on the road compared to any halogen bulb i have tried.

I know quite a bit about HID kits as i get them for all my buddies all the time. 4300k is brightest but looks stock .. etc.. People are hesitant about getting the kit at first, but once they do, they love it. I havnt had anybody complain to me about problems with them, and I have supplied probably 15 people with a kit.

However, Higher in kelvin rating you go, less light output in lumens you get.

I was just curious if anybody has upgraded from the 35W kit to a 50 or 55w kit. I have heard that the higher wattage HID kits start giving off a greenish colour, depending on what kelvin rating you start with in the first place.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
SC Rydah;1221337 said:
I have a couple of questions. How long did your 35W or 55W HID's work til they blew? What are Hella E-Codes? And how do you set up a OEM retrofit - like TL ballasts & bulbs - to our cars?

mine havent blew yet you just need to get a high quality kit and not the cheap chinese kits. Hella E-Codes are European Code Spec Headlamps, they work a lot better and even work well with HID because of its nice cut off off

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
SuperNova;1221322 said:
+1 You should just stay away from those cheap Plug-n-Play kits. They have a really crappy light pattern, making them no different than regular halogens. I'm going to do an OEM retrofit myself, probably with Acura TL projectors and ballast's.

Right on. TL projectors are nice. I'm going with a set of fx35 Bi-xenon projectors so I can still have high beams. :)

JDMMA70;1221330 said:
im running 35w kit in e-codes an arizzle is right light out put is only a little bit better than good halogen bulbs. Heres a pic of my 8000K kit before i aimed them lower to show what they look like at stock height (i think mine were higher than stock but thats how i got the car *shrugs*). and 4300K or 5000K would obviously be better but i got these at a cheap price so i figured WTH ill try em out.

[thumb]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v436/Cobra281s/DSC00041.jpg[/thumb]
A lot of that messed up beam pattern has to do with the way the HID lamp arcs. If you were to stare into an HID lamp that's lighted, (Don't do that, you'll likely blind yourself)- you'd see that the arc bows UPward, instead of down like a filament bulb. That alone screws with the output in a housing designed for a halogen lamp.

jdemara;1221340 said:
hah. Alright. Well guys i have had a set of 8000k HID's in my headlights for about a year now. Havnt had ONE single problem with them. They are deffinately brighter than halogens as i have compared and taken pictures with various bulbs and housings. Yes, they scatter the light everywhere, but it is DEFFINATELY brighter on the road compared to any halogen bulb i have tried.
Well, scattering the light everywhere is BAD, especially for oncoming traffic. I'll stick w/ my halogens until I do a proper retrofit.

jdemara said:
I know quite a bit about HID kits as i get them for all my buddies all the time. 4300k is brightest but looks stock .. etc.. People are hesitant about getting the kit at first, but once they do, they love it. I havnt had anybody complain to me about problems with them, and I have supplied probably 15 people with a kit.
Luck of the draw, maybe? I still think that re-based setups just suck. I stand by that statement.

Until you get a cutoff that looks like this:
p1221360_1.jpg

I don't want to hear it. :icon_bigg

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
as sheaff stated on re-based hids compared with the OE set-up the OE is by far the best, as of aftermarket HID's they just dont give the same cut-off as if they were in projectors. if they were in a non-projector and just lens housings they give off a really bright light, and the cut on a aftermarket HID bulb in a projector the cut on a wall will show a bit bluish-purple depending on the kelvin.

thats what they show in my TSX retro with aftermarket and the OE bulb will show a more white light all throughout the wall.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
It seems that OEM are the best and only choice for proper HID output. I'm looking for a set that will fit my setup but 99% of them are designed to be mounted behind a housing/lens and are not water resistant.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Doward;1221366 said:
God, I drool at that.

JDMMA70, would you mind snapping a pic against a building, so we can see what the cutoff looks like?

Sure no problem. I have three Photos to show the cut off.

Sylvania SilverStars Sealed Beam

p1221403_1.jpg

Hella E-Codes w/ Phillips Xtreme Power Bulbs

p1221403_2.jpg

Hella E-Codes w/ 8000K HID Kit (w/ Glare Shields)

p1221403_3.jpg

Hope that helps Doward

Last edited:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
The e-codes have GREAT cutoff with halogens - the HID doesn't look horrid - not much worse than the Sylvania Silverstars anyway!

That's a hell of a lot better than some of the ebay housings + HIDs I've seen, that's for sure.

But, to be fair, it's no TSX setup ;)

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Doward;1221406 said:
The e-codes have GREAT cutoff with halogens - the HID doesn't look horrid - not much worse than the Sylvania Silverstars anyway!

That's a hell of a lot better than some of the ebay housings + HIDs I've seen, that's for sure.

But, to be fair, it's no TSX setup ;)

Hahaha yeah i know :biglaugh: but this is just temp until i get funds to do a retrofit as that cost money haha. Those glare sheilds help out quite a bit to be honest. Most of the light is casted way to the right so oncoming traffic isnt really affected by it. Anywho its not bad but its not great either.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
The best thing to do would be a TSX or TFX (yes, tfx) retrofit into housings like those posted above. You'd retain the stock headlight size, but have all the glory of a fantastic cutoff, bixenon, and the best of all; not blinding other people on the road! I'll be working on this for my Toyota Pickup, which happens to use the same lights as the Supra. ;)

I just picked up a sweet set of projectors, now I just need some housings and ballasts. :) OEM FTW!

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
shaeff;1221501 said:
The best thing to do would be a TSX or TFX (yes, tfx) retrofit into housings like those posted above. You'd retain the stock headlight size, but have all the glory of a fantastic cutoff, bixenon, and the best of all; not blinding other people on the road! I'll be working on this for my Toyota Pickup, which happens to use the same lights as the Supra. ;)

I just picked up a sweet set of projectors, now I just need some housings and ballasts. :) OEM FTW!

Totally agree. Lightwerkz has some nice pics of these and they by far have the best cut-off. I asked them if they have something for the MKIII and they said no! :3d_frown: I'm also going to go the OEM route, but it will take some time to get there. $$$$