350?????

Sassan

May 31, 2010
Rialto, California, United States
So i have a 87 turbo targa. had it for 1.5 years. n 2 month ago the engine went. spun a crank bearing. so its been sitting waiting till i had enough money to fix it. i was going to do a 1j swap but i decided to keep the 7mgte.

My prob is i want an EASY 350 out of my 7m. So i wanna know wat is the best way to go without spending a lot of money on things i dnt need. the car is gonna be drift/daily driver. So wat is the best way to go.

Im deff going to get a ffim. and was thinking of Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams 264/264 and a 2mm metal head gasket but where should i go from there.
Any info would be very helpfull

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You can do much better for the time and future repair by not moving the alternator for no power gain. Skip the FFIM and a larger plenum at your power level. When the engine is out being rebuilt proffessionaly, have both head and block decks resurfaced flat and smooth and install a quality MHG. Any turbo upgrade will get you there with the other necessary mods. My Boss Jr is no longer available, but CT26 with a T04 compressor still as. As is the JT series.

Sassan

May 31, 2010
My friend has a ffim laying around so it's no cost to me. I like it do to being able to reduce the amount of piping and also clean up my engine bay. But Wat ur letting me I dnt need a programmable ecu? All I need is 550 injectors and 57 trim turbo? O and Wat is lex???

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The Lex meter is the Toyota AFM for the 1UZHE 4.0 V8 engine used in early 90's high end Toyota's, called Lexus in North America. It is "calibrated" for 550cc injectors. It will raise your fuel cut and allow you to use the larger injectors without a special tune.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Sassan;1870256 said:
My friend has a ffim laying around so it's no cost to me.
Does he also have the throttle body, the throttle cable parts, the alternator relocation mount, TPS wiring harness extension lying around at no cost to you?

Of all that, where the actual benefit is is the throttle body, assuming that you're getting a larger throttle body on there. Maybe the IC. To be fair, you'll probably need that anyway.

NONE of these are needed for 350 wheel.

Lexus AFM, 550cc injectors, AFPR, 57 trim turbo upgrade, a boost controller, Upgraded intercooler, piping and a good BPV.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Honestly, what I would do is rebuild the engine, deck the block and head, and run a titan 1.4mm head gasket (as long as you didnt have to have an obnoxious amount of material taken off... I had enough taken off that I should have used a 2.0mm gasket, but I decided to run a 1.4, for slightly higher compression.. using a compression calculator, it came out to about 9:1)

Then just do your standard upgrades and that should get you around 350 wheel..

Sassan

May 31, 2010
ok then. so 350 isnt much at all. i want 350 for wen im just running around the streets and i want to be above that wen im on the track.
so say i do my rebuilt, arp head studs, metal hg, 550/lex and turbo how far will that put if i wanna go past 350? cause i thought i would deff need to have my engine turned or need programmable ecu. but if not that is fine as well

Sassan

May 31, 2010
ok then. so 350 isnt much at all. i want 350 for wen im just running around the streets and i want to be above that wen im on the track.
so say i do my rebuilt, arp head studs, metal hg, 550/lex and turbo how far will that put if i wanna go past 350? cause i thought i would deff need to have my engine turned or need programmable ecu. but if not that is fine as well

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Backlash2032;1870282 said:
I had enough taken off that I should have used a 2.0mm gasket, but I decided to run a 1.4, for slightly higher compression.. using a compression calculator, it came out to about 9:1)
I had .005" taken off the block, so the 1.4 should have been fine, but my pistons are 9:1, so... I'll also be pretty close to 9:1.

Anyway...

Start with a stock, but solid 7M-GTE, so that's stock pistons and rods, metal head gasket and ARP head bolts or studs.

57 trim turbo upgrade, supported by Lex/550, AFPR, 3" or better turbo-back exhaust, upgraded intercooler and bypass valve (Recirculated BOV), as well as some sort of boost controller.

I would further suggest an upgraded radiator and fuel pump, and you'll need an upgraded clutch, since the stock one isn't going to hold for long at higher power levels.

The 57 trim turbo should be good for mid 425-450 to the wheels. The Lex/550 will almost get you there, though you might need a piggyback to get the most from it. If you're going to play in this area, the costs start rising exponentially from here. A wideband would be a good thing for monitoring AFRs so that you don't melt a piston, possibly EGT as well. Something with logging would be good.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Drifting is expensive. If you want to get on a track and drift then the first things you want should be suspension(replace ALL the old ball joints bushings etc), shedding weight, and a better limited slip or possibly a welded diff. Trust me you will complain about the stock lsd once you try drifting a mk3. I think cams is a good idea for drifting. I'm just saying you will run out of money before you know it so just focus on getting the actual experience then you can figure out exactly what you want to spend money on for upgrades and reliability.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
kk, correct me if I'm wrong.. but you dont NEED to change the intercooler from stock for a 350 rwhp Supra. 3" exhaust, Lexus AFM, 550 cc injectors, 57 trim (or similar) turbo, boost controller. Its probably the cheapest HP point on the 7MGTE if I recall my research.

No need for metal head gasket, no need for rebuilding your engine... unless its already shot. Just make sure its maintained and the head is torqued correctly and I would recommend a leakdown test prior to shelling out money.

Last edited:

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
@Nick: Of course there are many other factors there, particularly what was or was not done on the hot side of that turbo, and I'll admit that I'm thinking more in terms of what the turbonetics 60-1 that's bolted to my manifold is capable of.

Re SF link: I'd argue that 15-16 PSI has surpassed what the stock CT26 is capable of, therefore if you follow that guide, you'll be buying the upgraded turbo to replace the stock unit which has destroyed itself.

@Grandavi: No, for 350, the stock intercooler should not be the weak point.