3 valve cover bolts snaped, need help please.

albo_bizak

Jul 28, 2007
Cleveland
so i was trying to torque my valve cover bolts to 22lbs as it says on the book and online and they fing snaped on me. i torqued down the rest at 10 pounds and that looks like its a bit too much for them. Any ideas how i can take the rest of the bolts out.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I suggest you should check the calibration of your torque wrench....22 lb-ft is not a lot of torque, and is nowhere near the tensile limit of those bolts.

Are you using different bolts? I doubt you could break off a bolt using a phillips bit.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
adampecush;995334 said:
I suggest you should check the calibration of your torque wrench....22 lb-ft is not a lot of torque, and is nowhere near the tensile limit of those bolts.

Are you using different bolts? I doubt you could break off a bolt using a phillips bit.

22 lb/ft is a lot when you're only supposed to torque the bolt to 22 lb/in.

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
albo_bizak;995301 said:
so i was trying to torque my valve cover bolts to 22lbs as it says on the book and online and they fing snaped on me. i torqued down the rest at 10 pounds and that looks like its a bit too much for them. Any ideas how i can take the rest of the bolts out.

So anyway, take all the bolts back out excluding the ones that snapped, and pull the valve cover off. Part of the snapped ones may be sticking out enough for you to use a vise grip to screw them out??? If they are flushed...

albo_bizak

Jul 28, 2007
Cleveland
ok it is my fault for snapping the valve cover bolts i used ft/lb instead of in/lb. Anyways the rest of the bolts is sticking a bit down. Do i drill them out or whats the solution for that?

trydrew

Suprafied
Nov 4, 2005
Earth
They make kits for backing out snapped bolts, and I even have one.. but i've never used it. What ever you do, make sure you don't get metal shards in the motor.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
yep, it's easy to do...

either get the actual sockets that have a phillips tip on em, or use a tip for a ratcheting wrench in the proper sized socket

I just went to normal style bolts on mine though as the stockers where ugly...

albo_bizak

Jul 28, 2007
Cleveland
i tried the ez and the sears bolt removal i only took one out that was loose enough. the rest are still stuck in there. any other options exept replacing my cylinder head.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
helicoil wont do any good with the bolt still in the head.

Ive had marginal success with left twist drill bits. With any drilling on a snapped steel bolt in an aluminum base the biggest problem is getting a clean center hole drilled into a usually non-flat surface without slipping off and damaging the threads thereby making it even harder to get the pieces out.

get a set of left twist bits, start with the very smallest and be careful to drill in the center. Then step up each size of bit. Along the way one of the bits may catch enough to remove the broken bit, bit if it doesnt, eventually you will be left with no broken bit. THEN, maybe you will need to helicoil it.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
theWeezL;996297 said:
helicoil wont do any good with the bolt still in the head.

Ive had marginal success with left twist drill bits. With any drilling on a snapped steel bolt in an aluminum base the biggest problem is getting a clean center hole drilled into a usually non-flat surface without slipping off and damaging the threads thereby making it even harder to get the pieces out.

get a set of left twist bits, start with the very smallest and be careful to drill in the center. Then step up each size of bit. Along the way one of the bits may catch enough to remove the broken bit, bit if it doesnt, eventually you will be left with no broken bit. THEN, maybe you will need to helicoil it.

Well duh thats what the drill bit is for ?