3 lines... 2 are fuel, whats the 3rd?

RedPhoenix

Kill it with fire!
Sep 23, 2009
Tampa, FL
I am assuming the 2 cut lines are for fuel. What is this hard line with the red cap?

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1419811_1.jpg

Been removing all the BS from the engine bay... like the ABS system today. Now I am just trying to figure out what I can toss or need to keep.

Thanks

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
If you are running the stock tank with a stockish fuel system then no! The charcoal canister serves a purpose other than emissions and is an important part of the fuel system!

RedPhoenix

Kill it with fire!
Sep 23, 2009
Tampa, FL
I thought the point of it was to take all the vapors and store them and then burn it off when the car turns back on?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I just love "cleaning up the engine bay" threads ;)

Just think of all "the BS" Toyota put on the engine you can just toss!

ATL88Supra

The Asshole
Jun 22, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
jdub;1419872 said:
I just love "cleaning up the engine bay" threads ;)

Just think of all "the BS" Toyota put on the engine you can just toss!

on that note, is there a good replacement for the that valve on the thermostat housing

that alows the pressure to be burned mine was broke and im sure there is a smarter solution to it

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
RedPhoenix;1419871 said:
I thought the point of it was to take all the vapors and store them and then burn it off when the car turns back on?

It also regulates the vapor pressure in the fuel tank. If you cap it off you will have too much pressure which could potentially be dangerous and make the car run richer at idle. If you vent it and release all of the pressure to the atmosphere your fuel pump will have to work harder when the tank is low on fuel as the vapor pressure helps to push the fuel into the pump.

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
ATL88Supra;1419877 said:
on that note, is there a good replacement for the that valve on the thermostat housing

that alows the pressure to be burned mine was broke and im sure there is a smarter solution to it

You could always bypass it. All it does is block the flow when the engine isn't warm yet. You could also replace it from almost any Toyota model from the 80's and early 90's.

RedPhoenix

Kill it with fire!
Sep 23, 2009
Tampa, FL
Well, anyone use a smaller one out of a different car? I want a clean engine bay for my 1uz swap, so hiding this would be great.

Also, while we are on the topic, is there a smaller neater looking valve for the heater available? Mines pretty beat up. Luckily it never gets really cold in FL, but still nice to have... not sure if it works lol.