2JZGTE VVTI MAF questions.

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
Finishing up my swap and need some help with the maf.
My engine is out of a 98 Aristo and it came with out the MAF sensor.
I got my hands on one but don't have the housing that it go's in.
I picked up a USDM 2jzgte maf and the car is way to rich.

my question is can you use the usdm maf or is there a way to make it work?
If no where can I find a housing I've been looking and there is still nothing that I can come up with.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
I just got an Aristo 2JZGTE vvti with an maf included. My plan was to make an intake pipe that is the same size as stock. I didn't think it would be that hard to mount and seal up the maf into a pipe. But I haven't done it yet.

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Ii have a 2jz maf on my bech at home I will post a pic of it as soon as I get home so you can ck the part number . Maybe work something out to get it to you

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
p1900240_1.jpg

p1900240_2.jpg

Pretty sure this is for a 2j. If this is the one you need pm me

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
I have both stilles of maf's I have a 98 Supra TT maf and a aristo 2jz vvti maf.
I just don't have the housing for the aristo maf and the supra maf makes the engine too rich.

Supra maf #: 22250-46030
197400-0010
Aristo maf #: 22204-46010
197400-1010

Here is my supra maf that I have.

p1900536_1.jpg

Here is the aristo one

p1900536_2.jpg

p1900536_3.jpg

p1900536_4.jpg

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
you may want to try talking with 'guy@spectreperformance.com'. When I was looking for a MAF pipe I found spectre performance was in the process of manufacturing one.

I got lucky and located a HKS 2jzgte vvti intake

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
Its a good read. That pipe he used seems like it would work, just don't know if the size is right. If the pipe is the wrong size it might still cause a problem?
I'll keep that in mind if I don't find a HKS kit or a stock housing in the mean time.

I hear there is a way to repin a USDM 2jz vvti supra maf but still have not found out how... or if some one has done it. Just a lot of talk about it on some other sights.
Also is there a way to reflash the ecu and eliminate the maf all together?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Yea I spent a lot of time reading that thread. It seems that the stock pipe is 3 inch. He had a 4 inch pipe with the MAF installed but it was running terrible.
A piggy back like AEM or MAFT Pro will interrupt the signal for the MAF and allow you to run a GM MAP sensor if you want.
Also I don't think a USDM vvti MAF will work because aren't they all made for the non turbo? That was on the very last page of that long ass thread.
Reflashed 2JZ ecus I think are rare. You could try a JDM engine importer about that. Sorry if I sound vague I am not an expert. I'm new to the 2JZ.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
So I learned that the 2JZGTE has a fuel pump ECU. I don't have that. I am pretty sure I can just wire in my fuel pump relay to turn on with a switch. And then it will always run at full bore and be loud and it won't last as long. But that is the same as the 12Volt mod right? Just to clarify, I don't actually need the 2JZ fuel pump ECU for my swap?

KingCobra

Jul 26, 2008
Melbourne, FL
The USDM Supra TT MAF (non vvti) is not compatible with the 2JZ-GTE VVT-i motor or ECU out of the box (I have personally tried it)

The housing ... if you can't find one from a GS300 (98+) or a 98 n/a Supra, most any after market one should work as a housing pipe.

Also the 22204-22010 MAF (from the 2JZ-GE VVT-i n/a motor that looks just like the 46010 part that will fit in the stock pipe) is compatible with the 2JZ-GTE VVT-i motor and ECU.

I've been using a MAF from a 1999 GS300 on my 2JZ-GTE VVT-i swap now for over 3 years and 20k miles on stock turbos and ECU with no issues.

No you do not need the fuel pump ECU for the swap to work. It might shock you to know how many sub ECU's from the Aristo chassis you are missing that you don't 'need' for the motor to run ;)

Last edited:

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
KingCobra;1903594 said:
The USDM Supra TT MAF (non vvti) is not compatible with the 2JZ-GTE VVT-i motor or ECU out of the box (I have personally tried it)

The housing ... if you can't find one from a GS300 (98+) or a 98 n/a Supra, most any after market one should work as a housing pipe.

Also the 22204-22010 MAF (from the 2JZ-GE VVT-i n/a motor that looks just like the 46010 part that will fit in the stock pipe) is compatible with the 2JZ-GTE VVT-i motor and ECU.

I've been using a MAF from a 1999 GS300 on my 2JZ-GTE VVT-i swap now for over 3 years and 20k miles on stock turbos and ECU with no issues.

No you do not need the fuel pump ECU for the swap to work. It might shock you to know how many sub ECU's from the Aristo chassis you are missing that you don't 'need' for the motor to run ;)

Any way you might be able to post a pic of your setup? I would really like to see it and get an idea. Thanks.
Never knew about the other sensor..... going to look more into that. Seems like a better option rought and the sensor is way cheaper. lol
I tried the usdm TT maf and it flooded my system out. Ran for a little while but the moment I let off the gas it died. Plugs were all covered in fuel. lol

Last edited:

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
planemos;1904035 said:
Ya I have the MAF from the Aristo. I have no issues to do with building a 3 inch intake pipe to fit it in there.

I made this thread to ask questions. Here is another kinda retarded question. Will these work for my Aristo 2JZGTE vvti engine? I need to replace/fix these wires: http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-1jz2jzcoilpackconnectorset.php

Or do I need to get a different kind of connector?

Dude I started this thread. The questions here are about Maf's and there setup. What will work or not. Honestly its not that well coved in build threads or sticky's for 2jz swaps.
Not tryin to piss yah off. I don't see how you made this thread?
Check the title man. "2JZGTE VVTI (MAF) questions" lol

What you are asking has already been covered in the other sections in the swap notes stickys. If you can't find it in the search. Belive me I still don't find what I'm looking for.?! lol. Just start your own thread about that topic.

That way every thing stays on track and they can add it to the notes and that way things can be less all over the place and harder to find.

Last edited:

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
planemos;1904246 said:
LMAO!

I totally thought I started this thread. That is hilarious! Hahaha

I kind of want to go around telling people "Hey, I started this thread" now. AHAHA sorry man.

No problems. lol

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
If you have the correct sensor head you can just use any MAF housing it will fit into and tune it with a SAFC. All you need to do is set the SAFC to stay on the low map and use vF tuning to tune the map. Google "toyota vF" if you want to know how to vF tune.

Basically all you're doing there is using the SAFC to alter the sensor's output curve to correct it for the MAF housing being the incorrect size.

KingCobra

Jul 26, 2008
Melbourne, FL
14565_162829689101_3555229_n.jpg

14565_162829679101_700799_n.jpg

AE86BLISS;1903974 said:
Any way you might be able to post a pic of your setup? I would really like to see it and get an idea. Thanks.
Never knew about the other sensor..... going to look more into that. Seems like a better option rought and the sensor is way cheaper. lol
I tried the usdm TT maf and it flooded my system out. Ran for a little while but the moment I let off the gas it died. Plugs were all covered in fuel. lol