2JZGTE MKIII Swap Info

SupraClaou

Supramania Contributor
Sep 1, 2006
Athens,Greece
90supradrvr;960199 said:
so since im gonna do the 2jz i just need a r154 tranny (im not doing auto) and then get a drive shaft from a mkiv turbo. and a bell housing off a 1jz. is that right?

You need a drive shaft from a mk3 turbo with r-154 trans and not from
mk4 turbo!
If you keep the twin turbos you'll have to punch/hit the firewall exactly
1 cm and slightly relocate the ABS lines without their heat shield.
That is what I did but I used the 1jz motor brackets not BIC brackets...

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
90supradrvr;960199 said:
so since im gonna do the 2jz i just need a r154 tranny (im not doing auto) and then get a drive shaft from a mkiv turbo. and a bell housing off a 1jz. is that right?

and i quote what i just wrote

" R154 you will need an r154 driveshaft from a manual turbo mkiii supra.... yup it is a direct fit my car is proof... you will need a 1jz bellhousing everything after that is a 7mgte clutch deal.
"

the 1jz brackets will work with supras 89+ not pre 89 unless you swap the crossmember to a 89+ because of the square and round mount difference. thats where the BIC mounts come in handy because you dont need to swap the crossmember... i opted to get the BIC ones because i could get them faster than if i was trying to source 1jz ones because at the time noone was selling them :)

AllStreet

Banned
Feb 3, 2008
Michigan
Question, Can I use the wiring harness from the 2jz that comes with engine and hook it into my car, it says you had it mated tot he 7m one? also why do you need 1jz components like the 1jz igniter, can this work with a a70 auto in my mkiii also does the firewall have to be pushed back. I saw you needed new brackets fro teh engine to mount on can you use the stock ones somehow? I may buy a 2jz and swap it into my mkiii i have 3400.00 is that enough.

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
AllStreet;966108 said:
Question, Can I use the wiring harness from the 2jz that comes with engine and hook it into my car, it says you had it mated tot he 7m one? also why do you need 1jz components like the 1jz igniter, can this work with a a70 auto in my mkiii also does the firewall have to be pushed back. I saw you needed new brackets fro teh engine to mount on can you use the stock ones somehow? I may buy a 2jz and swap it into my mkiii i have 3400.00 is that enough.

I am going to answer your questions in list form.
1)No, you must mate the 2J harness and the 7M harness.
2)You need an igniter because the 7M one will not work with the 2J.
3) I am not sure if the auto trans will work.
4) The firewall needs to be pushed back if you are keeping stock twins.
5) No, that is why you need the brackets.
6) I doubt that is enough. Even doing the work yourself.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
AllStreet;966108 said:

every question you have asked was answered but i'll answer them again.

the only reason you would use 1jz electronics is if you are wanting to use a 1jz harness and ecu so you dont have to do the wiring as much and its similar to a 1jz swap - you would need something else to tune the car. i honestly would get your 2jz harness to work with your car because the 2jz ecu's have a better reputation.

the auto will work.

the firewall question has been answered MANY times if you want the stock twins you need to push it back a bit

for the love of god read the thread the bracket question has been answered. YOU NEED BRACKETS. THE BRACKETS FOR A 7M ENGINE WILL NOT WORK.

3,400 total to buy the engine and everything? no. re read the thread

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
JayMk3SupRa;965498 said:
hi guys i'm new here.i just wana know if a w58 from a 7mge gearbox can be used with the 2jzgte??

so i guess being new doesnt mean you have to read the thread?

you need a 2jzge bellhousing, flywheel, clutch. if your supra had the w58 driveshaft it will work fine.

Mark3Supraholic

Zero State
Mar 31, 2005
California
oOoOh... Great thread. I've been recently looking into doing a JZ swap since my car has not run for some 5 years now. Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I wanted to keep it 7M. I tried picking up parts over the years, piecing things together and all that, we all know how this ends up. I take the motor apart, but all I did was look at it, and everything just looked harder and harder to rebuild as the days, months, years, went by. It seems now I just want to go the JZ route. Probably because 5 years ago, not much information was so readily available on JZ swaps. Looks pretty too.

By the way, if you use the JZ auto trans, wouldn't you need the trans computer too? I was looking for that Suprastick a couple months ago, but the website, latentsolutions.com, looks like its expired now. Out of business?

I would like to keep mine Auto, preferably the one that's in there, but am having trouble deciding between 1JZ and 2JZ. The 1JZ looks about $3-500 cheaper for just the engine. But I think if I can find a 1JZ A70 front clip it would have everything I need to do the swap, save the harness splicing. A 2JZ would require the rear sump parts unless I got one out of a MK4 Supra, as well as mounts, and the possibility of a big headache, but added oomph straight from the box. I like the prospect of the 2JZ, but the 1JZ is very tempting, especially if I can find a front clip, which would make things waaay simpler. I guess I can always flip a coin for it... Right??? :biglaugh:

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Mark3Supraholic;967038 said:
oOoOh... Great thread. I've been recently looking into doing a JZ swap since my car has not run for some 5 years now. Long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, I wanted to keep it 7M. I tried picking up parts over the years, piecing things together and all that, we all know how this ends up. I take the motor apart, but all I did was look at it, and everything just looked harder and harder to rebuild as the days, months, years, went by. It seems now I just want to go the JZ route. Probably because 5 years ago, not much information was so readily available on JZ swaps. Looks pretty too.

By the way, if you use the JZ auto trans, wouldn't you need the trans computer too? I was looking for that Suprastick a couple months ago, but the website, latentsolutions.com, looks like its expired now. Out of business?

I would like to keep mine Auto, preferably the one that's in there, but am having trouble deciding between 1JZ and 2JZ. The 1JZ looks about $3-500 cheaper for just the engine. But I think if I can find a 1JZ A70 front clip it would have everything I need to do the swap, save the harness splicing. A 2JZ would require the rear sump parts unless I got one out of a MK4 Supra, as well as mounts, and the possibility of a big headache, but added oomph straight from the box. I like the prospect of the 2JZ, but the 1JZ is very tempting, especially if I can find a front clip, which would make things waaay simpler. I guess I can always flip a coin for it... Right??? :biglaugh:

both are great engines. just have to remember to throw a 2jz in a mkiii supra its practically buying a 2jzgte and a 1jzgte. if price is an issue go 1jz because you can always go 1.5jz later on. i am doing a 2jzgte -> into an sc300 W58 and its easy compared to my mkiii one even though im still swapping pans you dont have to go through the hassle of sourcing other parts

you can use your trans ecu or whatever its considered you just have to wire it in right.

EdgeSupra

Feb 19, 2006
New Jersey
Ok guys, look, being new isn't an excuse to ask dumb questions. We know everyone is excited that we have a good thread started here, but let's not ruin it with the same 4 questions being asked over and over.
If a new issue rises, then the answer will be added to the information in the first main post so we have one collective, easy-to-use topic. From now on READ THE WHOLE THREAD before posting a question.

eman - Seeing as it's your thread, would you be able to keep your original post up to date? (not saying that it isn't right now, just later on down the road, lol)
And I ask that a mod delete all the repeat questions that have been thoroughly answered.
Thanks

-Justin

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
EdgeSupra;968534 said:
eman - Seeing as it's your thread, would you be able to keep your original post up to date? (not saying that it isn't right now, just later on down the road, lol)

-Justin

Yea, definitely. I have been very busy between my car and school, and I have been sick for the past few days and its kicking my ass. I ask that whoever wants something added to the first post, such as parts to name the part, part number, and price, this way I can just copy and paste it into the first post.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
EdgeSupra;968534 said:
Ok guys, look, being new isn't an excuse to ask dumb questions. We know everyone is excited that we have a good thread started here, but let's not ruin it with the same 4 questions being asked over and over.
If a new issue rises, then the answer will be added to the information in the first main post so we have one collective, easy-to-use topic. From now on READ THE WHOLE THREAD before posting a question.

And I ask that a mod delete all the repeat questions that have been thoroughly answered.
Thanks

-Justin

yeah really :biglaugh:

Mark3Supraholic

Zero State
Mar 31, 2005
California
tlo86;967924 said:
both are great engines. just have to remember to throw a 2jz in a mkiii supra its practically buying a 2jzgte and a 1jzgte. if price is an issue go 1jz because you can always go 1.5jz later on. i am doing a 2jzgte -> into an sc300 W58 and its easy compared to my mkiii one even though im still swapping pans you dont have to go through the hassle of sourcing other parts

you can use your trans ecu or whatever its considered you just have to wire it in right.

Hmm. If putting a 2JZ-GTE into a Mark 3 is equivalent to buying both the 1JZ-GTE AND 2JZ-GTE, financially 1JZ-GTE makes sense. So 1JZ-GTE for me it is. Just gotta get all the funds together and source it. I assume a 1.5JZ is a 1JZ-GTE with a 2JZ-GE block or something to that effect?

Oh, and latentsolutions is back up, looks like his webpage expired temporarily. It says it fits any A340x, so I'd probably want to go that route instead, barring a full manual swap. Thanks!

LilRedSupra

Soupy
May 8, 2006
Louisville, Ky
:biglaugh:
tlo86;966334 said:
every question you have asked was answered but i'll answer them again.

the only reason you would use 1jz electronics is if you are wanting to use a 1jz harness and ecu so you dont have to do the wiring as much and its similar to a 1jz swap - you would need something else to tune the car. i honestly would get your 2jz harness to work with your car because the 2jz ecu's have a better reputation.

the auto will work.

the firewall question has been answered MANY times if you want the stock twins you need to push it back a bit

for the love of god read the thread the bracket question has been answered. YOU NEED BRACKETS. THE BRACKETS FOR A 7M ENGINE WILL NOT WORK.

3,400 total to buy the engine and everything? no. re read the thread

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Mark3Supraholic;972187 said:
Hmm. If putting a 2JZ-GTE into a Mark 3 is equivalent to buying both the 1JZ-GTE AND 2JZ-GTE, financially 1JZ-GTE makes sense. So 1JZ-GTE for me it is. Just gotta get all the funds together and source it. I assume a 1.5JZ is a 1JZ-GTE with a 2JZ-GE block or something to that effect?

Oh, and latentsolutions is back up, looks like his webpage expired temporarily. It says it fits any A340x, so I'd probably want to go that route instead, barring a full manual swap. Thanks!

exactly :D

lost_as_hell

May 2, 2008
texas
so i know the following may sound dumb to you, but hence "lost_as_hell" why change the water pump? and what did you do for an exhuast prefab from 87 turbo or 92-98 turbo or custom pipe on a turbo muffler? im gettin there almost got all my parts together

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
lost_as_hell;1066081 said:
so i know the following may sound dumb to you, but hence "lost_as_hell" why change the water pump? and what did you do for an exhuast prefab from 87 turbo or 92-98 turbo or custom pipe on a turbo muffler? im gettin there almost got all my parts together

besides for maintenance reasons many people do not want to source the hydraulic fan setup, which is what the aristo 2jz is. now if you have a mechanical fan and clutch, like if you got the engine from an mkiv supra, then you dont need to worry about this step or do it only for maintenance reasons because you dont know how old it is and how old the coolant is thats inside of it sludgeing up.

for my 2jz i had a custom downpipe made to bolt to my cat. for the sc300 the downpipe off the engine bolted right to the cat. if you dont have an aftermarket exhaust already i would say have one built its the easiest and cheapest way.