2JZGTE AEM V1 tuning/ learning curve

Justin727

T-virus infected
Alright of course this is my first experience with a stand alone. Seems a little overwhelming but could just be fear of the unknown.. I'm a little worried about the tune the vehicle is running on.
I'm not happy with the cars AFR while in boost. Wide band is reading around 12.5-13.5 around 16psi (wg spring). Idle AFR(1000 rpm) and cruise AFR are fine around 14.7-15.3 although I would prefer to stay in the 14's with it.
Now after a good bit of driving or while it's really warm outside cruise AFR get's scary high between 16-17.
I will be changing out the WG and will be running a 13 pound spring and will be hooking up the GM boost control solenoid and would eventually like to get into the 16-18psi range on 93 if I can pull a safe AFR. I'm thinking possible fuel delivery problem after pumps warmed up but don't know for sure without seeing any logs...

The car has been tuned once before by Sean Ivey @ Ivey tune and I can't seem to get anything up as far as logs or anything... Laptop tries to connect and tells me firmware not compatible etc. Could he have locked his tune? Simply because I have tried every firmware to try to see something. How would I get past this? Clear the ecu and have to start with a new tune possibly?

Car 1994 Mk4
Mods as follows
Greddy T78 turbo kit
FIC 850CC injectors with fuel rail
Aeromotive AFR with base fp @ 40psi
Twin Denso intake fuel pumps
BL auto transmission

Thanks for any help in advance

Last edited:

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Make sure you are running the latest firmware and are using 1.19 of the AEM Pro software. Also first gen AEM EMS is picky with USB to serial adapters. If possible use a laptop with a serial port on it. If the laptop has a PCMCIA port buy a card with a serial port on it.

Justin727

T-virus infected
soapra;1748486 said:
Make sure you are running the latest firmware and are using 1.19 of the AEM Pro software. Also first gen AEM EMS is picky with USB to serial adapters. If possible use a laptop with a serial port on it. If the laptop has a PCMCIA port buy a card with a serial port on it.

Ill try a new cable. I got the usb to serial port as per video that suppose to work with the AEM. Already loaded firmware 1.19

Thank you!

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
i ordered an ExpressCard serial adapter, apparantly they fix all the issues that AEM has with USB serial converters.

how did you get your car to idle at 14:1? mine idles ~11:1 hot.

Justin727

T-virus infected
Enraged;1748532 said:
i ordered an ExpressCard serial adapter, apparantly they fix all the issues that AEM has with USB serial converters.

how did you get your car to idle at 14:1? mine idles ~11:1 hot.

Well the cable I got came with the software disc. Forgot which name brand but a few guys pointed me in that direction (radio shack) and claims it works.. Not sure why it isn't on mine. My car has been previously tuned by Sean Ivey but only on wg spring. Now that I have a Boost Controller I want to adjust accordingly. Not only that but I'm having issue's with the tune itself and I want to be able to see what's going on. Without being able to connect to the AEM I can't see anything.

Sometime after sitting a few minutes and then restarting the car and letting it sit @ idle the AFR changes gets in the mid to high 15's and driving it get's in the higher AFR's 16s to 17s which I'm not too comfortable with. I really need to see what's going on but this has been a PITA.

CtownDawgs88

Doin' the Best I Can.....
Mar 23, 2009
Northern Ohio
I had the same problem - try this... go into control panel -> system -> hardware tab -> device manager -> ports (make sure your cable usb to serial) is connected then select your adapter -> then properties -> port settings - change bits per second to 11500 and the rest should be 8, none,1, none and ok or apply.

then fire up AEM software and do not connect right away - let it open up the SW. Then do a connect to ECU - then turn on the car to on (not start) this should connect to ECU just fine. It works for me every time.

Best of luck!!!

CtownDawgs88

Doin' the Best I Can.....
Mar 23, 2009
Northern Ohio
Update your drivers for the usb -> serial cable - do you get any frameing errors on AEM connection screen? Also did you select your correct Com port in aem? if all of this does not work you may want to send back the ecu to aem for eval.

Justin727

T-virus infected
I did select the correct serial port. This is what I keep getting when I try to connect with the key on.

Found ECU type 'AEM15GEN' version "VIVEY"

Then of course this pops up after those lines pop up

"No file for ECU version"

Last edited:

Justin727

T-virus infected
Right.

It prompts be to do so and I select firmware V. 1.19b then it further prompts me to upload another file from the laptop and I maybe missing that file. I'll get into it more later this week but I may just call AEM and see what the deal is. Its not a big ordeal for me to deal with as the car isn't a DD so downtime isn't an issue BUT it would be nice to get the issue resolved. I'll keep everything updated and Thank you for your help I really do appreciate it!

Justin727

T-virus infected
Justin727;1750879 said:
I did select the correct serial port. This is what I keep getting when I try to connect with the key on.

Then of course this pops up after those lines pop up

"No file for ECU version"

Alright after talking to a gentleman on the phone from AEM it turns out that the Tuner hacks the AEM box to not allow anyone to connect to it nor adjust the tune besides the tuner (shop). So my options are to either send the unit in to get wiped clean or do it myself and start over.. Which is understandable. Keeps the owner from sharing/selling the tune etc.

Figured I would update if someone else ever runs into this problem

Justin727

T-virus infected
I agree and of course the tune will need adjustment at times which in my case I need to do. But from a tuners standpoint he invest his time and energy in it and of course doesn't want anyone to sell his tune (I know every car is different but we've seen things like this in the past) or share it and I understand this as well. This also brings in return business in cases such as mine as well.
I called AEM and spoke to a gentleman by the name of Beau and he was dealing with a gentleman earlier yesterday running into the same exact problem and kindly directed me to his thread on a wrx forum.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=34995220
ran into the same exact problem and ironicly his car was tuned at a shop out of New Jersey too. Mine was done by Sean Ivey @ Ivey tune.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
i understand the reasoning, i just dont agree with it. if my tuner told me i wouldn't be able to open up the tune i paid for and tweak/change things myself, i would find a new tuner.

Justin727

T-virus infected
Enraged;1754262 said:
i understand the reasoning, i just dont agree with it. if my tuner told me i wouldn't be able to open up the tune i paid for and tweak/change things myself, i would find a new tuner.

I'm right there with you. Believe me it will never go there again. Nothing against the tuner although the car is tuned rather aggressively but it's just not my cup of tea.