2JZGE w/ TEMS

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
Guys/Gals,

I noticed that folks who dropped a 2JZGE or other engines in their MKIIIs just throw away TEMS and go to coilovers. While picking IJ's brain on various subjects, he mentioned that there is a Camry TB that sends out L1, L2 and L3 signals. I got curious and started to dig around.

I dug around and came across the following document:

Using the above, I found the pinout of the 2JZGE TPS and made the following spreadsheed:

Next is my dilemma. The Cressida TB:

vs the 2JZGE TPS:

Now, if the Cressida TB has the same diameter as the 2JZGE TB at the TB butterfly, I was thinking of a TB butterfly assy swap along with TPS should do but chances are, the dimensions will differ from shaft size, shaft length... you get the idea.

Next, I thought about going to a machine shop to have them adapt the Cressida TPS to the 2JZGE TB but I'm not sure how true the TPS calibration will be, assuming that the camry TPS needs to be calibrated.

Again, can anyone please shed some light on the above or alternate method? The rest of the wiring is fairly straightfoward and it's just a matter of time to put it together.

Pardon the essay as it's a summary of my research.

I hope this thread will be fruitful enough to be stickied.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
Okay. I just do not understand this.

I JUST GOT DONE with a 2JZ-GTE swap in my '88 with Illumina II's, '89+ TEMS actuators, AND HKS EAC-T TEMS controller, and it still works?!

EXACTLY like it did when I was running the 7M-GTE?!

AND I DIDN'T HAVE TO DO ANYTHING WEIRD OR ODDBALL TO MAKE THIS WORK?!

What is everyone else doing wrong I wonder?

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
Anti-Dive should work since that system relies on the brakes. Anti-Roll will function since it relies on the steering wheel. How about anti-squat? It uses the TPS sensor to regulate anti-squat so it's weird to me that your anti-squat still functions when the GTE doesn't have L1, L2 and L3 outputs to feed the TEMS ECU.

Unless, the ECU uses an 'or' logic instead of 'and' and uses the speed sensor as a backup to keep the TEMS features online if a sensor takes a dump.

Ninja edit: Do you have a spare pre 89 HKS TEMS for sale?

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
MadRPM;1955941 said:
Unless, the ECU uses an 'or' logic instead of 'and' and uses the speed sensor as a backup to keep the TEMS features online if a sensor takes a dump.

I think this is a GOOD POSSIBILITY in this case, since it does adjust for it.

MadRPM;1955941 said:
Ninja edit: Do you have a spare pre 89 HKS TEMS for sale?

Nope, sorry. I had to move heaven and earth just to get mine.

MadRPM

Nov 9, 2012
Tampa
I sooooo want one!

I hope more folks chime in to confirm that the TEMS signal uses the 'or' logic with the speed signal input being the backup signal

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
I have full TEMS working on a 2JZGTE setup. We manufacture a small electronic box that will input the throttle VTA and output L1, L2 and L3. Just needs 12V, ground and VTA to work.

And btw the box is fully programmable so you can use it with any TPS (so any engine swap will have working TEMS just as long as you have a VTA signal). It should also make it possible to run the original automatic transmission although this hasn't been testet.