2jzge vvti into mk3 swap

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
So I purchased a 2jzge vvt-i engine off an 2001 IS300. Im swapping the 2j into my 1989 Turbo Supra in a few months. I was wondering has anyone performed this swap? And also since the throttle body is electronic how would I go on keeping it. Also in case I go with a regular wire actuated TB, would vvti still work?

Any links to build threads or guide would be great, or any help would be appreciated. Thank you

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I believe Dr Tweek would be a good source to ask about this one...

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Yeah it's not much of a problem. I'd grab the gas pedal and position sensor. You get this from a yard or what? Standalone/cable tb would be hella better

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Pretty much the same as any other 2J swap. Mine came from a JDM '99 Supra. I used the MKIV throttle cable and the ECU controls the VVTi features/parameters. It does look pretty in the MKIII and I hope to maybe try it again sometime. My swap was shortlived... water mixed w/oil (maybe BHG). Now I have a regular 2JZ-GTE. There is some info available on SF about the ECU and othe VVTi questions answered. Good luck!

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Satan;1649022 said:
Pretty much the same as any other 2J swap.

That is not true.

If your going to keep the OBDII computer, youll have to keep the electronic throttle body.

Do you know the issues with keeping the OBDII? Like having active evap system leak checks, catalyst monitors, theft deterrent, traction control etc. It takes allot to keep 96+ computers happy.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I used the VVTi ECU, and stock everything else on the motor. I did have my CEL on, but had a couple of broken VSVs. It could've also been because the drive-by-wire components weren't being used. I did not have it going long enough to figure it all out. However, from a pure swap perspective, the same... need a 1JZ bellhousing, JZA70/custom motor mount brackets, etc, etc. Extend the harness and use the stock ECU. The upper radiator hose is a bit tricky, but I think there is a factory Toyota hose that already fits around the VVTi hump at the front of the motor.

The throttle body on mine had the linkage/bracket for the cable, so I used the cable and left the rest of the DBW electronics in place.

No doubt the ODBII can be more finicky, but that's the post-swap stuff that will have to be figured out and may already be captured in the existing VVTi threads. It may even be that some of the signals need to be tricked, to turn off the CEL.

EDIT:

Helpful threads...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=546316
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259197
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259197

Last edited:

Andre

Feb 4, 2006
Netherlands
Does anyone runing this engine in their Mk3 with the stock ecu en having any problem with fbw just using the Mk3 throthle cable

Its seems like standalone is the only way to go ?

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Alright i dont mean to try to take over the thread or any mess, but i have a 2jzge vvti, and i would like to make it a 2jzge na-t vvti how much of a pain is this i have no ecu or harness so i will need to figure out which ones to get.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Would suggest the N/A section of this forum and Supraforums. Also, ClubLexus.com is a great resource for this type info.