2JZGE swap issues

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Alright guys, Have some small bugs to work out in the 2jzge auto swapped project I had a friend do. Some of them are small issues, just wanted to get people opinion. I just got it back and drove it for the first time.

-When cold start it it takes about 2 attempts and then it idles really rough. During that time if you touch the throttle it will die. Once the motor is warm it will start right up first try and runs fine.

-There is a misfire while driving on the freeway, under small load.

-Under WOT pulls, when it shifts into 3rd, it hits a cut, or some type of hesitation. then immediatly goes back to normal driving.

-The O/D button on my shifter no longer works. I think its stuck in O/D off. The RPM is high during highway driving (3200rpm) at like 60-70. It may be right, I have no exhuast, so MAybe it just sounds high.

-I had to manually adjust the Idle in. It wouldnt idle on its own. If I unplug the IAC when the motor is running, its doesnt do anything? Maybe its bad.

-Im not getting any codes, but it might be the wiring to the actual body harness wasnt hooked up to display it on my cluster.

I heard somewhere that if you did the 2jzge swap, that you should put a walbro in it cause the stock mkiii fuel pump wont keep up, even being NA? Its on my list to do, maybe its going bad and causing the misfiring.

Any opinions are welcome, If any of you guys have done 2jzge have had similar issues let me know!

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
i would do s pump before u start making boost.

the cold start is prob iac. bad.. the small missfire may be timming?

mine did the same. do u have adjustable cam gears? ck to see that motor is in time

Albert

May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
IAC wasn't clicking on shut off. I ordered a new one. Will be here next week.

Found some wiring issues that need to be taken care of first. Need to wire up the purple wire on the body plug so I can pull codes

Albert

May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
The car hates cold starts. Always dies if you touch the gas. And it feels like it runs on 5cylinders until it
Gets to full operating temperature.

Water temp sensor bad?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Never thought you'd be posting up in here haha... Sorry to hear of your troubles man, sounds like there might be some sort of MAF issue, at least initially. Have you tried cleaning the wires?

Albert

May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Found out the problem that was causing majority of my problems.
The #1 pin for main power to the ECU wasn't getting power.

It now starts up when cold, and doesn't miss. Now that's taken care of I'm going to re-check timing.

Still has an idle issue, the IAC still isn't clicking, the new one will be here soon.

Roger UK

Jun 20, 2010
Newcastle
Albert how did you interface the 7M wiring with the 2JZ? I'm planning on fitting a 2JZ-GE from a Mk4 Supra with its ECU to replace my 7M-GE

I'm obviously using the 2J engine harness, so I'm guessing there should only be about 12 wires or so to interface the dash etc? I'm also thinking cut and splice would be easiest, as I could then come up with a table in advance of what wires to cut and connect, eg

Supra Mk3 - goes to - Supra Mk4
red/green - goes to - blue/yellow
white/blue - goes to - pink/black

etc etc

What I find strange is that NOBODY seems to have written up what wires need connecting, given how many similar swaps there has been. It seems ridiculous that everybody should have to work it out from scratch - certainly if I get this done I will be publishing an easy install list !!!

Can you help at all?

Albert

May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ