2jzge rebuid? advice

Orangeracer

SUPRA LOVER
Sep 12, 2008
Harford County, MD
So i just got this engine an trans. i am going to put it in my 87 supra. I think i can use stock harness. so i am wondering if i should put new rings and bearings. MHG i am only planning on running about 6pds of boost. It has 130k on the engine and i was told drove in shop to pull. ADVICE towards rebuilding it? or just leave it alone?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Orangeracer;1255124 said:
So i just got this engine an trans. i am going to put it in my 87 supra. I think i can use stock harness. so i am wondering if i should put new rings and bearings. MHG i am only planning on running about 6pds of boost. It has 130k on the engine and i was told drove in shop to pull. ADVICE towards rebuilding it? or just leave it alone?

rings and bearings at a minimum, IMO. Relatively cheap insurance

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Custom CP 9.0 pistons w/ upgraded wrist pins, carillo rods, billet mains, arp mains, l19 headstuds.

Maybe a 3.4 crank if you got the loot.

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
It's all dependant on your budget. Like it was said above, new rings and bottom end bearings at the minimum, the rest is up to you if you have the coin. A metal head gasket and ARP head bolts/studs is not a bad idea.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Stock TT gasket can hold all the power you want. It depends whats you're building as to what hg you'll be using though.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Depends on the health of the engine, I didn't touch my 2jzge and so far so good other than blowing the stock HG, which I think was more due to too much boost/high C/R. BTW-the stock 2jzge headgasket is a MHG :)

I'm running 18psi on a TT headgasket now, 7MGTE ECU, SAFC/Lex AFM, 880cc injectors and E85 (boost would have to be lower for pump gas) and it's doing well.

Is your car 7mge or 7mgte? I was able to run ~9psi on the 7MGTE ECU with the stock AFM and no piggyback before hitting fuel cut with a T70. If you have the GE ecu you'll need some way to tune for boost.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
I'm kind of with DOk on this one. I checked the internals out and changed the HG. Compression looked good so I fired it up. And so far so good. But I just got mine running so I havn't seen boost yet. I need to get it tuned first. I think a lot of 2JZ-GE engines are usually well taken care of. So you can probably do fine without a rebuid.