2jzge Not passing emissions in a SC300

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
So my cousin has a stock SC300 with the 2jz, it is completely stock except for the stock exhaust has been removed and replaced with just straight pipes.

HC: Reading is 590 PPM and the limit is 220.
CO: Reading is 0.33 and 1.2 is the limit.
CO2: Reading is 13.9 and Limit is N/A ( I have no Idea why they don't have a limit on the CO2)

I was telling him to put the stock exhaust back on the car, we have the stock exhaust BTW.

So any suggestions to fix this issue quickly?

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Altezza576;1546951 said:
You need a catalytic Converter.... straight pipe will not ever pass.

It has the stock cats. They removed the stock exhaust only, not the cats.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
then the exhaust won't matter..

make sure his vacuum lines are hooked up the right way, they're not brittle, and make sure he drives the car for around 20 minutes on the freeway, you want the cat to be hot...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
While the comment about the O2 sensor is normally good advice it's highly unlikely the CO would be where it is if the engine wasn't in closed loop.

Mario: there's no limit on CO2 because it's not a regulated pollutant. It's a "good" gas, an indicator of combustion efficiency. The higher the better. His is yet another indication the engine is in fuel control...

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
jetjock;1547012 said:
While the comment about the O2 sensor is normally good advice it's highly unlikely the CO would be where it is if the engine wasn't in closed loop.

Mario: there's no limit on CO2 because it's not a regulated pollutant. It's a "good" gas, an indicator of combustion efficiency. The higher the better. His is yet another indication the engine is in fuel control...

Meaning?? What do you mean the engine is in fuel control?

We will check the vacuum lines tomorrow.

geartech

Mar 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Looks like the cats appear to be there but are either hollowed out or no longer functioning.
look at the cats. Depending on mileage they may just be dead. they were only supposed to last 80k to 100k miles. Many make it further than that.
If you want to test them take a wide band and read the a/f before and after the cat. after should be much leaner.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
geartech;1548028 said:
Looks like the cats appear to be there but are either hollowed out or no longer functioning.
look at the cats. Depending on mileage they may just be dead. they were only supposed to last 80k to 100k miles. Many make it further than that.
If you want to test them take a wide band and read the a/f before and after the cat. after should be much leaner.

Hmm...well the car does have 160K+ Miles on it.

geartech

Mar 11, 2010
Birmingham, AL
If you have access to a wideband then checking shouldn't be a problem. You could drop the exh after the cats and look inside to see if the guts are still there.
Just remember cats and o2 sensors are wear/maint. items. they should be replaced at 80-100k depending on the manufacture. Not that any one really does it until they notice a problem.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
If NOX fails then your to lean or advanced
If HC & CO is high then you have to much fuel or its running retarded on timing.

I think its your Cat & O2 also nevermind other information when HC & CO split meaning one fails and the other doesnt it is very likely to be your Cat & O2.

If you had other issues like NOX / HC CO then its engine issues AFRs timming etc.