2jzge mkiii supra overheated

Xynic

Sep 5, 2007
Bellingham
I'm not 100% familiar with my car as of yet. But it overheated today. No visible leaks. Might I be having the same problem as I had with my 7m? BHG?

I guess I'm hoping its a bhg that way I can get to getting on my NA-T plans. It started heating up and luckily I was close enough to a friends place I got over there and turned the car off. It was making a bubbling sound from the dash. The overflow was being filled with steam.

After letting it sit for 2-3 hours I put more coolant in the radiator and it ran just fine for the rest of the day.

Any idea's? What else should I check before I tear into my car?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Check ALL the hoses for any pinhole leaks. Had a similar issue once with a 7M, which was not a BHG. Turned out I had a very small pinhole leak in a hose, which would allow steam to escape. Constantly loosing coolant, subsequently overheating here and there... could never figure out the problem until that pinhole got large enough for me to see the bigger cloud of steam coming from it.

Kwan

Jan 4, 2007
South Australia
Sorry, i don't know what BHG stands for but do the simple things first... check if there's oil and coolant mixing in the overflow bottle and in the head. If the radiator cap is old i suggest changing it. i've experienced many cars with similar symptoms and you'd be surprised how many people never suspect the radiator cap. other than that get it compression tested so if there is a pin hole leak it will leak out as coolant, when it's cold, instead of steam..

Kwan;1301909 said:
Sorry, i don't know what BHG stands for but do the simple things first... check if there's oil and coolant mixing in the overflow bottle and in the head. If the radiator cap is old i suggest changing it. i've experienced many cars with similar symptoms and you'd be surprised how many people never suspect the radiator cap. other than that get it compression tested so if there is a pin hole leak it will leak out as coolant, when it's cold, instead of steam..

BHG = blown head gasket

Xynic

Sep 5, 2007
Bellingham
I purchased a new Rad, Cap, T-Stat. Going to get it compression tested tomorrow.

IF its something other then Rad/Cap it'll be okay cause I still plan to Na-T the car.