2jzge cam craziness

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
I just re installed my cams on the 2jzge. Now I always knew there was a sequence to follow but didnt know it was as detailed as it is. ie install then rotate cams loosten certain bolts then torque again numerous times... I did it this way but wonder why its done this way and if its actually needed, and who done it what way?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
I do 4,5,3,6,2,7,1 in two passes, 5 then 11 ftlb. rotate and check. Done it about 30 times. Make sure bolts arent dry.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Reason you do it is for the same thing as the pattern of bolting down the head... you would damage a metal object that long if you just started at one end and strapped things down tight all in one swoop. Nobody likes (nor does metal) stress that isn't needed, right? ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I don't remember doing mine to be honest, but haven't had any issues. I may not have even been the one to put my head back on, it may have already been assembled by the time I got back down to the shop... That appears to be some sort of Alldata tech page, no?

suprastupid

Apr 4, 2010
tx
Not sure, I did a Google search and found that. I was thinking about it and when rotating the cams it has you loosen up the cam caps on only the ones with lobes facing up. Making me think its just a extra precaution to get the cam caps seated fully and torqued with no pressure from the valves on them. Seem logical?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk