2JZ water pump

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
I'm thinking about ditching the Hydra-fan, and going with the 2JZ wp, and fan. What exactly do I need to do this? Can I keep my perfectly good fan shroud from the hydra-fan? I have a small leak from my weep hole, and some fluid is getting on my upper rad hose from the hydra-fan. I know that you need a new belt also, but Ron R. has some left over parts from his 2JZ, so were gonna' figure out what else I need.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
you'll need the back housing that the 2jzgte water pump bolts on to, the 2jzgte water pump, and the clutch fan and i think thats it... i can't remember its been a while since i thought of it

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
why not just replace the seal in the waterpump? A local guy has done that and been fine. I'll see if I Can get the part number from him.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
^ What about the leaking hydra-fan clutch also? Wouldn't the 2JZ stuff just be simpler in the long run, and more efficient for cooling?

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
The hydrofan is about as good as it gets cooling-wise, I strongly recommend keeping it. Just replace your seals! There is nothing on the hydrofan that you can't still fix.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
For the little bit of cooling that was sacrificed when I went to the 2JZ pump setup was well worth not having to think about my pump failing or the numerous other things that can go wrong with something of that sort after what 15-16 some odd years.

But it's up to you man, theres people on both sides. My hydro was incomplete and had issues and I really didn't want to have anything to do with it (prefered cheap, simple, yet effective) so that's what influenced my decision. Many will tell you the hydro is the most efficient and honestly I have to agree.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I know Driftmotion offers a rebuild service for the 1JZ hydro pump. A new hydro pump is about 800 from Japan but Driftmotion offers a rebuild service for somewhere around 200-250. Either way the price is around the same to do either hydro pan or mechanical.

Turbo Drifter

Dec 8, 2005
Surrey, BC Canada
For simplicity I went with a 2jz water pump on my 1jz and now have the same on my 2jz. If you do swap to a 2jz waterpump you will need the pully as well (if I rememeber about the same cost as the pump from Toyota). If I was doing it again I would not put any e fans on it and get a stock crank fan.

You will not be able to use the Hydro fan shroud, you need a 7M shroud I belive.

Jeremy

makaveli913

1jz and lovin it
Nov 20, 2007
Pueblo Co
i got my set up from drift motion.. water pump,pully set, fan blade, and fan clutch. The 7m shourd works perfect. The only concern i have from using the clutch fan is that it is 2cm away from the upper radiator hose you have to space the blade back

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
For simplicity and reliability I trust a brand new 2JZ water pump setup over a 15+ yr old hydrofan cooling system, not saying bad about it though just my 02 cent.