2jz turbo's

grumpi_raver

Jun 8, 2011
Las Vegas
okay so i really want to know from everybody who modifies any sort of 2jzgte engines.
i read up a lot on forums and i see a lot of people like taking out the twin turbos and putting on one big one. why is that? whats so bad about the two smaller turbo's?
can anybody answer with pro's and cons to both please. thanks.

DJ6ta

Dec 17, 2010
Oceanside
The stock twins have a lot of limitations that are different depending on jspec/USDM/JDM , one of which being the amount of boost that they can handle. The biggest reason I see that people do the big single is because the twin system is so clustered and complicated with a lot of parts that can and will go bad. It is difficult to say the least to diagnose problems with the twins and it looks ugly too.

Nick 95 6sp

Ported & Polished
Sep 5, 2007
S.E. PA
My stock twins always worked flawlessly. But if you want more power than they can make (say just north of 400whp on pump) you have to flow more air and most people go with a single that can do that because it's the most cost effective, simple solution.

Larger twin turbos will also do that but it costs more and is more complicated. To me that wasn't a deterent since I always liked the look of twins so I decided to make them as responsive as I could for my power goal, which was mid 500 whp; it actually makes 615whp/590wtq at 22 psi on 93 pump (with 50/50 meth/water inj)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Single>twins. In every way.

Jdm twins have ceramic shafts which go out fast like the 1jz twins.

Also they have smaller housing so at higher rpm they get outflowed and can actually cause damage if revved higher.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
can I ask another question on this topic...? mk3..

I have a 1JZ, when I purchased my 550cc 2jz injectors my friend threw in his 2jz twin turbo's..
am I better of using my 1jz twins and then later when they are ready for a rebuild going hybrid(1jz/2jz) with the parallel twins..

or will the 2jZ bi-turbo outperform the above option?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
2j steel wheels would be better. There already small and spool. Fast. There is a guy down here who has done that and he said it has a tiny bit if lag but hits hard on the 1j.

You know you need the injector resistor for the 550 injectors right?

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^yes I have the resistor pack...

I thought the USDM 2jz turbo's were steel wheels... which is what is sitting under one of my benches...

grumpi_raver

Jun 8, 2011
Las Vegas
thanks for the help guys.
i guess i'm still not sure which to pick. i mean i know i would love a sweet wire tuck to my car too.
i know i want a daily driven 550hp sleeper but also a weekend drifter.
i know i want the car to last years on end.
i'd be getting stuff i cant even dream of affording at this time like motec m600 and wideband lamba accessories and a whole bunch of other stuff to high tech the car.
but which would be best for both daily driven lasting me years and still power when i need it for drifting?
also i won't be adding nitrous. maybe meth but not sure.
i know i'd want to upgrade all the internals like rods cams pistons crank everything.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
You dont need to upgrade the internals if you want 550hp as the block can support 800hp reliably. As for the single I daily drive mine and I love it. I have a t67 with a .70 twin scroll hot side and see 10lbs of boost by 3500rpm and 20 by 3800rpm. I like having the single better because the motor flows air much better and doesn't feel choked. I also have noticed a saving in mpg because you not always hitting boost with the little twins when your leaving from a stop just to get up to speed.

grumpi_raver

Jun 8, 2011
Las Vegas
so from other research i've done i guess a simple single turbo and bigger injectors can get me to 550hp alone so i guess i'll just do that.
all the rest for the other parts would basically be wasted money since it can handle it all. so id just need those two and a motec m600.
yay problem solved and goal made. :D
thanks DJ6ta, gurley and everyone for your help.