2jz swap not starting

jvamps

Sep 8, 2009
mesa
ok.. I did a 2jzge swap into my mk3 using 7mge electronics. It will hit twice and stop completely.

so far I've replaced:
- distributor
- efi relay
- spark plug wires
- injector resistor box
- fuel pressure regulator

yet it still gives me the same results.

I know its not ignition because it starts fine with starter fluid. Almost seems like injectors 2 and 5 are only firing..

anyone have any thoughts?

hhsuperwhite90

Mar 10, 2008
South Carolina
Check the wiring to your afm. This can cut off your fuel pump through the "COR" circuit opening relay. You will need a digital meter to test these connections for continuity and voltage.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Car "should" still be able to start and idle with a bad afm.

Verify spark.
Verify fuel.

Make sure the injector clips are in the right order. color of connector f-b white- brown- white- brown- white- brown.

Did you put the dist in at tdc compression?

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
i guess do some continuity tests between the ecu and injectors..........might also want to check the injector resistor to injectors and make sure..........

so you're running a 7mge harness?

jvamps

Sep 8, 2009
mesa
I am getting fuel. tested that. I'll check my maf in a bit. a buddy of mine told me to check to see if I'm getting a signal my putting a light bulb in place of the injector to see if it lights up... none of them do when I test it.

and yeah I'm running all 7m electronics off it. seen it done with 7mgte wiring and a few buddies of mine verified it'd work. so I went with it to save money

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You need a noid light(12v light) for the light bulb thing to work.

Are the injector clips in the right spot?

Was the dist put in the right spot?

Did you change the timing belt?

jvamps

Sep 8, 2009
mesa
hm, how is a noid light set up?

and yes to all three. clips are in the right order, same with the distro, retimed it just in case, and the timing belt is new

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Ok, Did you use the 7mge injectors or the 2jzge ones? Did you check the Omhs on the injectors? Last time I check the 2jzge ones are high impedance. If you have the Resistor pack in place and using the 2jzge ones you can damage the drivers in the ecu or the injectors. What year is the 7MGE engine harness? 90+ distributor pin out is the same as the 2jzge but pre 89 cars have G- and G2 in different pin locations? I'm looking at three different wiring diagrams right now (EWD from Toyota) your problem is in this section most likely.

Ninja Edit:

TPS connector needs to be changed also and re-pined.

jvamps

Sep 8, 2009
mesa
its a pre-89 harness. you're saying that my distro wiring may be off? the 2jz motor is off a 92 sc300 if that helps.

I'm using the yellow 7mge low impedance injectors. so that shouldn't be an issue. I haven't checked the ohms yet but I should. I did use a noid test light yesterday to check if I'm even getting a signal to the injectors. but it never flickered nor lit up.

in terms of the tps. I made an adapter clip that converts the 7m clip over to the 2jz tps.

from what I just read off the mk3 TEWD

7m pinout for distro 2jz pinout off 92 sc300
- NE = Blue - NE = Blue
- G1 = Red - G1 = Red
- G- = Black - G- = Black
- G2 = Yellow - G2 = Yellow

is that right? or is that 89+ pinouts? it didn't specify

Last edited:

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Ok so on 86.5 to 88 supra NA the pin out is like this

NE 1
G1 2
G- 3
G2 4

89 to 92 pins

NE 1
G1 2
G- 4
G2 3

2JZGE is the following pins

NE 1
G1 2
G- 4
G2 3

G- is Pin 4 on 89+ but on 88 G- is Pin 3. Just re-pin it and see if that works.

jvamps

Sep 8, 2009
mesa
awesome. I'll give it a shot in a few hours. been going over almost everything. so I'm hoping that its a simple fix like that

thanks in advance though. been a lot of help already

jvamps

Sep 8, 2009
mesa
ok. switched the pins and it still does the same thing. It'll hit once or twice then just die. I'm starting to wonder if the 2jz distro is even compatible with using the 7mge harness.

I've always had people confirm the 7mgte with a cps. but not n/a status.

Driftmk3

May 23, 2009
Chicago IL
jvamps;1558157 said:
ok. switched the pins and it still does the same thing. It'll hit once or twice then just die. I'm starting to wonder if the 2jz distro is even compatible with using the 7mge harness.

I've always had people confirm the 7mgte with a cps. but not n/a status.

Did you ever find out what was wrong? I am thinking about doing this swap into my early 89 supra with a 7mge but I need to know if I can use my stock harness or if I have to use a turbo one.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
soapra;1555962 said:
I will check and get back to you. For future reference, never go by color of wire. Always use pin to pin.

So true.. many colors have changed locations and functions between different years + models, trims.. etc.