2JZ swap auto trans problem

casperamc

Mar 25, 2009
nj
ok ill start off by saying that i did search for a long time before asking this question and i still can't find it.

a buddy of mine has a 87 that he recently swapped a 2jz with an auto transmission from an aristo in. the car runs fine and drives smoothly except it has a problem shifting up to the next gear at WOT. in each gear, if you go WOT and the car should shift it will just slam off the rev limiter and you have to let off to shift it.

ive been trying to figure this problem out with my friend and any advice would be appreciated.

thanks
-mike

Last edited:

Slow_Sc3

I beat bikes dude
Apr 2, 2005
Maryland
does it have a kick down cable? if not it might just slowly be on the way out the door look to swap 5 speed its soo easy!

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
when the auto ecu is about to shift the ECU does what it can to make the shock less dramatic on the transmission.. i think its kind of like it cuts out just before its supposed to shift or before the redline

casperamc

Mar 25, 2009
nj
ok i have heard of something like that, but i have no idea. is there a way i can check this? when the problem happens, it feels like you just left it in gear, stomped on it and forgot to shift.

IfetheGreat

Heineken
Mar 11, 2008
Alief, TX
i am having the same problem with mine. I have a 1jz matted to a 7mgte tranny. Do you I have to change my N/A transmission computer to a turbo unit? I am currently using a jza70 cpu with a 7mgte us spec tranny and a us spec tranny cpu and rx-7 turbo MAP