2jz rebuild

57p00rbob

Apr 4, 2012
Sacramento calif.
To anyone that knows.....I did a 2jz na-t swap in my mk3. Started with a good used 2jz-ge out of a wrecked sc300. All went well until it spun a rod bearing. Ive rebuilt and overhauled many motors in my day, no brainer right? Not quite I got a good crank and replaced the rod "that spun". Then went by the TSRM and got the correct bearings, or so I thought. Long story short it spun again, number five again. So now I have quite a bit of time and money into it and a taste of boosting. What to do? When I faced this with domestic cars I simply got a crank kit and recon the rods. But with Toyotas five different sizes of rod and main bearings....WTF????? Help please anyone in the know.:: angry ::

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
what's WTF about having multiple rod bearing sizes?
Did you machine your crank?
did you re-use a bent or our of round rod?
why not re bearing the whole motor?
what were your clearances?
Domestic cars tend to get away with greater inaccuracies than a 2j will allow

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Have the crank inspected for tolerances (have it turned if necessary) and then use the right size bearings. Also, have the block's journal checked. It may not be a crank/I have had decent luck when using oversized bearings.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I prefer to replace the rod with spun bearing. Some are ok with re size of connecting rod. I am not. I do not see repeat failure that some see during rebuilds. BTW Toyota select fit bearing allow for "blue print tolerances" From the factory. Even select fit pistons. IMO Good luck.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
U can try whatever U want, but when the crank is ground, they don't just grind one journal/rod. There is nothing to machine or do with the rod. At the same time, sounds like you are putting more parts back in, without checking tolerances. It will likely happen again. Replacing the rod alone, is not the answer and is probably )definitely not) the problem... "Sounds like you think you know" what you're doing, but I disagree. You did say you already tried the "right sized bearings," but wanna try it again, replacing just the 1 rod. :-/

Good luck tho, let us know how that works out.