2JZ not fitting in engine bay? Bonnet too low

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I have just put the bonnet back on my car after a long 6 months of conversion.

Only problem is it will go onto the first latch and then it will sit there. If i was to force it down it will bend the bonnet. Looks and feels like it is fouling on the y-pipe from the cold side of the turbos.

Has anyone else had problems like this before?

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
gl let us know how it works nice tho on a jza70 all u australia and ewn zeland folks got the RHD and jdm real shit lol (im envious of u guys):3d_frown:

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
tissimo;1127848 said:
Yea, with the US twins, i had to grind a bit off the BOV pipe to clear. (dont remember if it was cause it hit or was really close. I built the car 2 years ago.)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p227/tissimo91t/DGM%20Car/Buildup/2jzdone3.jpg you can barely see its ground down a little bit.

Had a look and it seems ifs fouling on the outlet for the BOV. cutting into the under of the bonnet reinforcing (about a 2" strip) should do the trick.

webbs7mgte;1127942 said:
gl let us know how it works nice tho on a jza70 all u australia and ewn zeland folks got the RHD and jdm real shit lol (im envious of u guys):3d_frown:

We got all japans lemons :p naaa some are alright.. :)

D34DC311;1127978 said:
Hmm that is weird, I didn't have a problem with that at all.

yeah i thought it was weird too..

One thing a mate made me realise was i used the JZA80 '98+ insulators and these are apparently about 30mm taller than the JZA70/MA70 ones.

Can someone confirm this? :/

I read this mod years ago on SF, and now I cant seem to search it to find the thread again

Last edited:

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
MrOizo;1128050 said:
Had a look and it seems ifs fouling on the outlet for the BOV. cutting into the under of the bonnet reinforcing (about a 2" strip) should do the trick.

We got all japans lemons :p naaa some are alright.. :)

yeah i thought it was weird too..

One thing a mate made me realise was i used the JZA80 '98+ insulators and these are apparently about 30mm taller than the JZA70/MA70 ones.

Can someone confirm this? :/

I read this mod years ago on SF, and now I cant seem to search it to find the thread again

the 1998 isolators are what most of us use here as well, even for the 1JZ swaps.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I used stock mkiii mounts and had an issue.

Like i said though its only the USDM twin BOV outlet (the jdm is mounted different).

Yea I didn't want to cut the hood brace so I ground down the bov peice. Though on hard launches it did rub on the hood, and messed up my paint :(

jtamulis

www.NotRice.com
Apr 9, 2005
Pittsboro, NC
www.NotRice.com
Take a piece of tape, place it sticky side up in places you THINK it'll hit. then lift the hood. It'll show you where the problem is. simple as that. Then you can figure out how
you anna solve it.

Jeff

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
jtamulis;1128292 said:
Take a piece of tape, place it sticky side up in places you THINK it'll hit. then lift the hood. It'll show you where the problem is. simple as that. Then you can figure out how
you anna solve it.

Jeff

Yeah thats what i did. well sprayed paint on the underneath of the bonnet on the lining. showed up on the BOV outlet :(

tissimo;1128266 said:
I used stock mkiii mounts and had an issue.

Like i said though its only the USDM twin BOV outlet (the jdm is mounted different).

Yea I didn't want to cut the hood brace so I ground down the bov peice. Though on hard launches it did rub on the hood, and messed up my paint :(

Well i have a JDM 2JZ setup and its fouling. i'm going to have a look underneath some time this weekend and see if the engine is sitting properly. Was thinging that it wasnt sitting in the mounts properly but even then it wouldnt be enough to have the engine raised 20mm :eek: