2jz na-t cuts out

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
So the issue I have now is the car is having this cut out issue when you take off from a stop it doesn't even get to 2k rpms and it just cuts out and the engine light flashes. But if I take off really easy it doesn't it do it.
Then if I am in 2nd gear and push the gas down it gets to like 3k then it cuts out and will backfire usually.

I am running 880cc injectors 255 fuel pump stock 2jzge fuel rail and regulator,safc2/vpc setup, on 7m electronics 7m cps 7m coilpacks.

If I'm in neutral and rev the engine it will go past 3k no problem just does this weird cut and CEL flash the CEL is on do to o2 sensor not being connected actually doesn't even have on on the downpipe. (Just bought this car so it's a work in progress) guy says he took it off to get a better tune on the safc I guess... I am going standalone soon as I get my taxes back but I want to drive this car I drove it back from oklahoma just fine and drove it one other time then this. So I'm wondering what you guys think it might be? I checked sensors to make sure everything is plugged in the IAT was unplugged so I thought that was it but didn't fix the problem.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Check for codes to see if anything besides the o2.

Also 800cc injectors are pretty big for a stock ecu and piggyback.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
He's probably had to pull a lot of fuel with the safc2. Do you have a wideband? Is it running around 14.7 while driving it? Have you checked all of your intercooler pipes and vacuum hoses just to make sure their isn't any leaks causing bad readings.

Did you tune the car or buy it already tuned with those injectors? Those are pretty big as mentioned above.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Yeah the safc is almost max leaned out on some of the setting up top when I looked at the setting it could use a retune. I picked up the car the day after it was tuned on the dyno. Car does not have a wideband on it I'm already sketched out driving it without one on it. That's one of the first things I'm getting for the car. I drove it all the way to Iowa from oklahoma and the car ran fine the whole way back just when I got back it started to run weird and now I can't even drive it without it doing this weird cut out. If i drove it when it's warming up it won't do it at first but it also seems like when it stays running for longer it gets worse. I checked all vacuum lines and piping and everything was good and intact.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You need a wideband on it. It looks like it's just going really lean when you give it gas.

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
I dont even know how you got it tuned on the stock o2 sensor. I have an lc1 wideband on my na-t and it works really well. For injectors that large did they just pull your main scale or did they do a full tune?

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
kornfedmk3;2040658 said:
He tuned it on a dyno with a wideband on if then. Yeah I need to get a wideband what I am getting at the moment.

So your saying he had a wide band on for tuning and took it off afterwards? Thats very odd man, you need a wideband asap.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Yeah you can hook up a wideband to the back of the exhaust when your on the dyno to get afr. Well I think I might have a idea of what it could be. I read a thread someone had the same issue and turns out his fuel pump wasn't picking up enough gas when he was under load so he had to keep the tank full my tank is close to a quarter tank. When I drove it in Oklahoma it had a half tank and I kept it to half the whole way back I wonder how the pump is wired in or maybe the pump is going bad.

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
kornfedmk3;2040697 said:
Yeah you can hook up a wideband to the back of the exhaust when your on the dyno to get afr. Well I think I might have a idea of what it could be. I read a thread someone had the same issue and turns out his fuel pump wasn't picking up enough gas when he was under load so he had to keep the tank full my tank is close to a quarter tank. When I drove it in Oklahoma it had a half tank and I kept it to half the whole way back I wonder how the pump is wired in or maybe the pump is going bad.

Do you have an aftermarket fuel pump and/or a fuel pressure regulator? Maybe you should write out a mods list so we can effectively help you diagnose and fix the issue

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Alright here is a list of things.
rebuilt 2jzge
7m electronics 7m ecu 7m cps 7m coilpacks.
Precision 6776
880cc injectors 255 pump 2jzge fuel rail and regulator
Ffim
3 in exhaust
front mount ic 2.5 piping.
safc2 hks vpc

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
kornfedmk3;2040706 said:
Alright here is a list of things.
rebuilt 2jzge
7m electronics 7m ecu 7m cps 7m coilpacks.
Precision 6776
880cc injectors 255 pump 2jzge fuel rail and regulator
Ffim
3 in exhaust
front mount ic 2.5 piping.
safc2 hks vpc

We run very similar setups except I have 870's and you have a precision turbo. Those injectors are definitely too big and I ended up throwing my 440's back in. Where's your fuel pressure sitting at? is it the stock regulator? you need an adjustable one for sure. You absolutely need a wideband man with that setup. Feel free to PM me, I didn't know dick about my car when I got it, now i'm extremely comfortable modifying it.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Yeah I just picked this thing up not so long ago. Saving up for the fuel rail and regulator bigger pump wideband and standalone right now. Standalone is going to get ordered soon enough.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Ok well put some more gas in and didn't change anything pulled codes first time got 41 51. Reset the ecu and 41 went away so just 51. Still cuts out feels like when it comes on to boost it cuts out and 2nd and 3rd. 2nd gear it will cut out at bout 3.5k 4k when I give it full throttle then the light flashes. 3rd gear is at bout 4.5k but it usually backfires 90% of the time. This is driving me nuts! 1st gear it will happen at 2k 2.5k just falls on its face and cuts out. Can't even take off from a stop correctly or it does it have to ease Into for it not to.

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
*Also noticed that when I go WOT my safc says it's only 72% throttle when it use to read 100% before this issue started. Cruising on the interstate in 5th gear pushing the gas to the floor only 72% did this countless times and 72% is the highest it would go.

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
kornfedmk3;2041405 said:
*Also noticed that when I go WOT my safc says it's only 72% throttle when it use to read 100% before this issue started. Cruising on the interstate in 5th gear pushing the gas to the floor only 72% did this countless times and 72% is the highest it would go.
You definitely have a fuel ratio issue, it sounds like its way too lean and pretty soon we're going to see a post about helping you fix your engine. Don't drive it until you get a wideband and retune it because your just putting your engine at risk

kornfedmk3

Dec 9, 2011
des moines, IA
Found out its the tps plug I completely lost throttle response last night a few times push the gas down and got nothing then it finally would just go back to normal so I fiddled with the tps plug and actually got it to make a pull in first gear which was exciting cause its been awhile. Then it went back to running bad. My tps plug is completely broken.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
51 is tps. check that first.

Second the na fuel regulator is not a rising rate fuel regulator. turbo regulators increase 1 psi of fp for 1 psi of boost. na do not.

tromspert

Oct 19, 2014
PA
hvyman;2041522 said:
51 is tps. check that first.

Second the na fuel regulator is not a rising rate fuel regulator. turbo regulators increase 1 psi of fp for 1 psi of boost. na do not.

he should do himself a favor and install one along with a wideband before he continues to drive, he's leaning the hell out of that thing. I personally love my aeromotive fpr