2jz hard to turn on stand

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
Being a bitch, fully assebled shortblock with reused factory hardware, new ACL standard bearings, polished crank (not cut) and total seal rings. All specs were done from tsrm, and i used a craftsman tq wrench and clevite assembly lube, liberally lol. I dipped the pistons and rings in oil befor pushing them down into the block with a deadblow hammer. My first red flag was how tremendously hard the #6 piston was to get down in there, it would go all the way down until the las ring or so, they weren't popping out of the ring compressor, i checked several times. But after a long bludgeoning, it finally went in. everything was torqed to spec, in proper order. And its TERRIBLY hard to turn the motor over, even with the head off still. It takes a pretty good sized ratchet to get her going. Any ideas on the difficulty of the #6 piston, when all the others were easy as pie? And is this linked to the hard rotating assembly, and could that possibly be a problem?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You reused old pistons and rods? Did you put them back in the cylinder they cane out of? You should pull each piston out and check the ring clearance like IJ suggested. You might have recieved .20 over rings by mistake.

Looks like rings could be the problem if you put each piston back in the cylinder they came out from.

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
looking how to check piston to bore in manual, not having any luck.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

each piston was placed back in the approprate cylinder, they were labled and placed in bags as they were removed.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

found it with a bit of google, what spec am i looking for here?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Measure the piston 1/2 an inch under the Oil ring groove then measure the bore and see what you have, used Pistons should never have been hard to slip into the bore I still think it's a ring issue

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
It is the rings. Like I said, if you put the used pistons in the same cylinder, that shouldn't be a problem.

Take out a piston
Remove rings
Place ring, one at a time in one cylinder at a time

Then use top of piston and insert into cylinder to put the ring down and make it level. Don't have to push the ring too far down, two inches from top of the bore is good.

Measure with a feeler gauge and see what you have. Check it is in spec with the TSRM. Don't mix up the rings either. Each ring belongs in it's own groove.

Supra_Villan

needs his car done
Nov 10, 2007
Wellsville MO
will do. thanks everyone, currenty in the hospital, awaiting the arrival of my first child, my daughter Mia :), so i won't get to check into this for at least two weeks, but i will post results soon as i get them, thank you guys very much. I appreciate any input.